Uri Dimant

Don't speak to the DBA while he/she is doing the job?!

Our DBA was very busy today, he helped out our developers to write efficient code,explained to the programmer how to launch the old DTS package on SQL Server 2005 and etc. You know how it is, someone comes in and asking the question and you answer the question at the same time you are busy to do something. So  today answering one of such questions he deleted by mistake very ctitical database. Fortunately, we had zero data loss,thanks to our backup/recovery strategy.

I think that is acceptable to say that you are busy right now ,please ask the question later on, what do you think? How do you respond if someone asks you a queston while you are doing something on the server/database and etc.?

Published Monday, April 12, 2010 7:38 AM by Uri Dimant

Comments

AGiotti said:

I work in an open environment where the DBA team, which I am the senior of 4, support over 1500 databases residing on 60+ instances of SQL Server, not including the development and pilot environments. We are constantly bombarded by product teams, and developers. It has become such a problem that we cannot perform our DBA activities. We are working on a process to allow them to ask question between a certain time of day, we call this *Office Hours*, thanks to a member on the DBA team that came up with this approach.  I like to point you to one of our DBA team members BLOG site that explicitly talks about our experience, very interesting. The topics of interest are “Why DBAs are Ruthless” and “The intensity continues.” I am interesting in hearing your feedback. http://awanderingmind.com/

April 12, 2010 9:00 AM

scott said:

When someone comes to you, you've got two choices. 1) stop what you're doing and concentrate on the person, or 2) politely let them know that you're in the middle of something and you'll get back to them.

If your team is finding itself bombarded from all sides, you need to delegate a point of contact between the DB team and business/CRMs etc. Part of that person's job becomes fielding external queries and disseminating/prioritising them.

April 12, 2010 7:51 PM

olivia said:

hello sir......

i am Olivia i have graduate with commerce. i am very hardworking.

Olivia, anderson

-----------------------

April 13, 2010 9:09 AM

Hemantgiri Goswami said:

Hi Uri,

I know this is an old post, but I just can't resist myself posting here. Usually, when someone come to me with this way, usually I stop what I am doing for a moment, listen to him/her and based on the issue / priority I switch back and forth my work. Sometimes, I also ask, If the issue is urgent? If it's not an urgent case I ask them to call me later or I ping him/her once my task is completed.

June 27, 2013 7:50 AM