Tibor Karaszi

Upgrading from Express Edition to Standard Edition

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:14 PM by TiborKaraszi

Comments

zee said:

Nice blog! Thanks!

zee

January 29, 2011 2:49 AM

Jeff Bennett said:

Whoever built this into the toolset should get a raise.

Thanks

February 1, 2011 5:29 PM

Tibor Karaszi said:

Chances are that you rarely get to see the Express Edition of SQL Server if you mainly work with servers.

February 10, 2011 1:11 PM

Alexandros said:

Thanks mate for this good article!

March 1, 2011 6:34 AM

Daniel said:

This was a great help, glad I found your article. Cheers.

October 24, 2011 2:39 AM

Rich said:

I already had SQL 2008 Standard installed on the server when I installed the Stand Alone and whe I run the Edition Upgrade wizard it does not allow me to select the SHAREPOINT instance to upgrade. Even though I see it listed in the grid it is not in the drop down.

October 26, 2011 2:03 PM

LC said:

This is the query from SELECT @@VERSION:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (Intel X86)   Jun 17 2011 00:57:23   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) (WOW64) (Hypervisor)

Any thoughts on why it is still showing up as express despite edition upgrade?

August 18, 2012 4:35 PM

mahendra said:

Thanks a lot .I have rarely read the thing related to express to standard or enterprise..

Really very helpful

August 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Olja said:

"I originally had 2005 Express installed. Attempted to upgrade to 2008 R2 but installer said no components to upgrade. So I ran the upgrade to 2008 R2 Express and that worked fine. This is all on 64 bit. I tried doing a edition version upgrade from 2008 R2 Express to 2008 R2 Enterprise and the edition upgrade reports success, but when I run SELECT @@VERSION it still shows Express. I ran this query and it still showed Express. I did the edition version upgrade twice just to make sure but it never changes. The original instance of course was named SQLEXP_SOMETHING and its still there of course. I do not really care about the instance name but as long as I can get it up to enterprise.

This is the query from SELECT @@VERSION:

Any thoughts on why it is still showing up as express despite edition upgrade?"

Did someone solved this? How to change the version after installation?

July 28, 2014 10:18 AM

Olja said:

Reply @LC:

The problem is solved! Couldn't fight with upgrade and these instances anymore. :-) Stop SQL services, Unistal all SQL, clean folders from SQL folder in Program files, and instal new version! If someone has some more "simple" solution, let me know!

July 28, 2014 8:35 PM

Pavan Kumar said:

Nice article. It helps!

September 9, 2014 1:24 AM

Tombat_old said:

Nice article. Thanks for information and help. Nice Job :)

June 9, 2015 4:08 AM

Raff said:

I want to upgrade my sql express 2008 R2 to standard NOT R2...is this allowed?

July 21, 2015 8:56 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

So you want to go to a higher edition (from Express to Standard) and also to a lower version (from 2008 (10.0) to 2008 R2 (10.5)). No, you cannot downgrade version - not possible.

July 21, 2015 10:46 AM

Js said:

Reply @olja , LC

Did someone solved this? How to change the version after installation?

once you do the edition upgrade don't forget to do a sql upgrade in the installation. It will upgrade the db engine. That's what you guys are missing

August 12, 2016 2:27 PM