Tibor Karaszi

Found it!

"What exiting item or idea did you find?", you probably think... The answer is: SQL Server nostalgia.

Some of you might know that in the very early years, there were three companies involved in releasing SQL Server on the "PC" platform. In addition to Sybase and Microsoft, we also had Ashton-Tate, which at that time were market leader for "PC databases" with dBASE. I was involved with Microsoft here in Sweden and I vaguelly recall a meeting with the other involved partners and I was given a tie-clip from Ashton-Tate. The other day, I wondered whether I saved that little gem, and Indeed I did:

Ashton-Tate tie clip

How about that for useless piece of information? :-)

Published Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:46 PM by TiborKaraszi
Filed under:

Comments

Sankar Reddy said:

>>I was given a tie-clip from Ashton-Tate.

When did this happen, mid 90's ?

November 27, 2009 3:08 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

>> When did this happen, mid 90's ?

Mid 90's was version 6.0 (95). This was earlier, end of 80's. Can't say for sure, guessing 89 (could be 88).

November 27, 2009 3:23 AM

ScottWhigham said:

Oh wow - I can't imagine companies today giving tie clips as chotchkies. That's great - really highlights how different things are today. I dare say that most of us end up throwing out most of today's gifts fairly quickly (which tend to be foam/rubber/tech based things like stress balls, pens, USB flash drives). I love this!

November 28, 2009 7:16 AM

Adam Machanic said:

You're dating yourself here, Tibor ... I thought you were a bit younger :-)

November 30, 2009 3:05 PM

TiborKaraszi said:

<<You're dating yourself here, Tibor ... I thought you were a bit younger :-) >>

Did I say I started working with SQL Server when I was 5? :-)

November 30, 2009 3:17 PM