Tibor Karaszi

Will SQL Server 2008 ship February 27?

Let me elaborate a bit. You might have seen and read about the feb 27 launch of SQL Server 2008. Now, in MS lingua, "launch" is not the same as "ship" or "release to manufacturing" (RTM). So, the Feb 27 event is a marketing and awareness event. RTM will be later.

Published Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:05 PM by TiborKaraszi
Filed under:

Comments

MrSql said:

That's right, RTM is coming out on February 30th :-)

July 17, 2007 11:31 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Great, so we can expect SP1 on March 1?

July 17, 2007 12:12 PM

WesleyB said:

And SP1 release 2 on March 2? :-)

July 17, 2007 2:35 PM

Linchi Shea said:

You mean they won't have any SQL2008 CDs--no beta please--to handle out at the launch party :-)

July 17, 2007 3:44 PM

TiborKaraszi said:

Are you referring to Fre 28 as launch date? If so, the point of this note is that this is *not* RTM or ship date. It is a marketing event.

July 19, 2007 3:42 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Tibor, I think sarcasm might not cross the blog comments barrier too well :)

July 19, 2007 5:19 PM

TiborKaraszi said:

Hi Adam. I was responding to "SQL Server 2008 - CTP (SSQA.net)"'s comment, which I read as a comment that it will be released on feb 27. Sorry if this wasn't the intention.

Yes, sarcasm (which I'm a great fan of) is difficult indeed to express written only. I've been hit before, so I'm cautious "over the net". IMO, sarcasm is best delivered as subtle as ever possible, and it is pretty hard to hear just a difference in pronunciation when you read something... :-)

July 20, 2007 2:28 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Tibor,

That is actually not a comment, but rather a trackback.  Unfortunately, this version of CS does not identify them as such so it can be hard to tell, but if you mouse over the person's name and notice redirection to a post on another blog, that's a good way to tell...

July 20, 2007 1:25 PM

ssqa.net said:

Tibor

Thanks for the clarification, in fact I have corrected the blog post as I was under similar impression.

-Satya