THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web

Welcome to SQLblog.com - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |
in Search

Sergio Govoni

A place where share my experience on SQL Server and related technologies

Unexpected SPID change

A few time ago I had the opportunity to investigate about an unexpected SPID (Session Process ID) change. The inquiry began when a customer of ours starts to complain for locks, and lock time out error. These locks sometime were more frequent and sometimes not.

To investigate about this issue, I have taken two SQL Profiler trace files related of two execution of the Application functionality on which the customer has complained about the problem, with the same execution criteria. The only difference is that the first trace file was taken when the user complained locks and lock timeout error, while the second one was taken when no locks were occurred.

Comparing the two SQL Profiler trace files I have noticed an "unexpected" SPID change happened exactly when the Application has been locked; I have written "unexpected" because the Application uses always one connection to perform the queries captured by SQL Profiler. I have checked the piece of code that execute the queries shown in the following picture and I have verified no new connection was been opened explicitly.

The following picture shows the first execution in which you can see the unexpected SPID change.

Picture 1 – Execution with unexpected SPID change

Let me focus on the trace captured during the first execution. As you can see in the Picture 1, at certain point for the ClientProcessID number 192, there was been a SPID change from SPID number 111 to SPID number 110. The last query executed with SPID 110 has only the SP:StmtStarting event without SP:StmtCompleted event because this query was blocked from the previous SPID number 111 and for this reason the Application has been blocked.

The following picture shows the second execution.

Picture 2 – Execution without SPID change

Let me focus on the second execution of the same Application functionality, on the same client and with the same execution criteria, of course. As you can see in the picture 2 the SPID number is always the 68 for all queries performed in the same piece of code (as I expect).

Now the questions are: Which is the reason for this unexpected SPID change? Which are the conditions that force SQL Server to take the decision of changing the SPID number between two queries execution?

Talking about this issue with Erland Sommarskog he asked me "What API does the application use?" and my answer: "OLE DB", so he replied me "We have the answer!".

When you use OLE DB or something based on OLE DB and you perform a query on a connection which has not fully consumed the entire result-set of the previous, the default behavior is to open a new connection behind the scenes. This new connection will have a different SPID number, it is an attempt to be helpful, but it is not be ever helpful.

In particular, the result-set not fully consumed was in the last query executed by the SPID number 111, the same tables were been accessed from the last query with SPID 110 and then there was been the lock.

Thanks for the help Erland!

Published Friday, April 04, 2014 12:52 AM by Sergio Govoni

Comments

No Comments
Anonymous comments are disabled
Powered by Community Server (Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems
  Privacy Statement