Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

SQL Replication demystified

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2012/12/26/sql-replication-demystified/

Published Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:34 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

Kalen Delaney said:

SQL Server Central has a StairWay tutorial on replication, you might want to point that out people also.

~Kalen

December 26, 2012 6:38 PM

Rob Farley said:

Thanks Kalen.

Readers: Sebastian Meine has written a series on replication that you can see over at SQLServerCentral.com. Check out the link in Kalen's comment for more.

December 26, 2012 6:52 PM

Chris Adkin said:

Hi Rob,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 101 level article. I think the thing that confuses people the most with replication is the fact that there is only so much you can get out of management studio, when things go awry. The other main stumbling block is with conflicts encountered with merge replication, particularly when identities are used to seed primary keys, Hillary Cotter's "Identity crisis" article which can be found on simple-talk is an excellant reference for dealing with this.

I hope you and your family are having a happy Christmas.

Chris

December 27, 2012 7:42 AM

Rob Farley said:

Yes, I think there are a number of things which people struggle with around replication, and hopefully this can help people grasp the basic concepts. Maybe I'll do a post on conflict resolution soon.

December 27, 2012 7:50 AM

Francesco Quaratino said:

I Rob, I agree with you: SQL Replication is nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, I think it's quite complex to implement in a big production environment. I've got some experience of Transactional Replication but, apart from the key concepts, all I know about it I've learned on the job (mistakes included of course).

Can you suggest any good advanced self-training book about SQL replications?

Thanks

December 28, 2012 5:54 AM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Francesco - I've never read a book on replication, so I can't really recommend one. Sorry.

December 28, 2012 7:00 AM

Francesco Quaratino said:

Bad luck. Someone should start thinking of writing a good book about that subject.

December 28, 2012 8:34 AM

Scott Crosby said:

For more SQL replication info checkout Paul Ibison's excellent site: www.replicationanswers.com

Hilary Cotter's SQL 2000 replication book was invaluable to me, a possible update required?

Rgds,

Scott

December 29, 2012 11:18 AM

John Sansom said:

@Francesco - There's an excellent chapter, by Hilary Cotter in the first SQL Server MVP Deep Dives book, that looks at performance tuning Transactional Replication topologies. It contains the best (IMHO) explanation of how to tune the performance of the various Replication agents. (http://www.manning.com/nielsen/)

For general replication performance and tuning knowledge, see the REPLTLK blog on MSDN (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/repltalk/)

There are some replication performance tuning guides out there too, buried in various blogs however, I don't have the references to hand. I'll see what I can dig up....

December 31, 2012 5:28 AM

Francesco Quaratino said:

Thanks @Scott & @John.

I've never read that book but I knew already it was a really good one :)

about guides, I've found this quite usefull "Achieving Excellence in Designing and Maintaining SQL Server Transactional Replication Environments" (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215849.aspx)

January 2, 2013 5:12 AM

Brandon Williams said:

This one is good for beginners to intermediate:  Pro SQL Server 2008 Replication (http://www.amazon.com/Server-2008-Replication-Experts-Voice/dp/143021807X)

January 8, 2013 12:23 PM

dave pint said:

thanks all for the great info.

hope this is the place for my question.

should peer to peer transactional replication ( with updates from peers enabled ) withstand network disconnects easily ?

we are using it in an application, set up sqlprime as the primary and sqlsecond as the failover server

all goes well until we test the redundancy by disconnecting the network on sqlprime .

the app find the failover, writes data but when sqlprime ( primary server)  comes back, all replication is stopped with strange error ( mainly directing to login failures ( which are bogus as passwords did not change. )

so , are we testing something this setup should not stand ? ( network interruptions ? )

thanks

dave.

February 8, 2013 3:30 PM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Dave,

It should be able to resume. It will be helpful to see the actual errors.

Maybe drop me an email and I'll see what I can do. rob at lobsterpot.com.au is best.

Rob

February 8, 2013 6:35 PM

sibs said:

i have 3 Server using Sql Server 2008 R2 Standard edition located in 3 different sites and didnt use domain. i want to replicate each transaction from these server to my HQ server that also using Sql Server 2008 R2 standard.

my question is, is it possible to replicate in non-domain environment?

if the answer is yes, how the server can communicate in different network as the replication cant use Ip Address as their communication?

July 4, 2013 11:07 PM

tanya said:

how do I set up peer to peer replication for 2012

September 19, 2013 11:32 AM

tanya said:

do I do a snapshot or just go to peer to peer

September 19, 2013 11:33 AM

Priyantha Perera said:

How do I determine the agent for a specific replication job?

December 11, 2015 2:04 PM