Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

The MCM lab exam – two days later

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2012/12/23/the-mcm-lab-exam-two-days-later/

Published Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:59 AM by Rob Farley

Comments

Simon said:

Good luck rob.  From my point of view the single biggest thing to be aware of is the fact there are no half marks. You must complete 100% of the scenario to score.  I didn't know that first time round,  I wish I did. I've just taken the exam for a 2nd time. I'm hopeful, but then I was the first time too!

December 22, 2012 5:43 PM

Rob Farley said:

Right - but also, don't let that thought make you obsess about finishing. It's better to leave a question than waste an hour on it. You can always come back to it later.

December 22, 2012 5:54 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Rob, thank you very much for your comments - I think they are very useful to everyone wants to take the exam.

December 24, 2012 1:52 AM

Paul S. Randal said:

I love this: "My advice on how to pass this exam – use SQL Server for fifteen years.". This is who we wrote the lab exam to target.

December 26, 2012 12:37 PM

Jaime Tarquino said:

I know the feeling I also did fail the first time :)

December 26, 2012 7:26 PM

Rob Farley said:

Well, I still hope I've passed. Most of the material that you'll read about this exam will tell you that you should study a lot for it - but my experience wasn't like that. I know that if I need a retake, I won't be studying for it, I'll just use my time better. It's not as if there's an actual client who has actual downtime.

December 26, 2012 9:58 PM

Rob Farley said:

I was wrong – I passed the MCM lab last month. I know I thought I’d failed – I’m still surprised that

January 4, 2013 6:40 PM

Steven Ormrod said:

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your posts about your experience with the exams.

January 7, 2013 12:08 PM

Bodhisatya said:

Isn't 15 years too long a time?  i think someone using SQL Server for 15 years should be an MCA. i am someone who is preparing myself for MCM exam and i strongly feel that MCM board should throw more light as to what we can expect on the exam...

January 17, 2013 9:46 AM