Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

Sometimes it’s the little things...

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2011/08/30/sometimes-its-the-little-things/

Published Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:10 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

Dylan said:

Can you select multiple lines without selecting the entire line?  I mean to say that I can't reproduce this image in management studio, I always end up selecting the --.  http://sqlblog.com/blogs/rob_farley/image_54F2869A.png

August 30, 2011 4:48 PM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Dylan,

Yes! Hold down the Alt key.

Rob

August 30, 2011 5:08 PM

Dylan said:

A whole new world has just opened up to me!  Thanks Rob!

August 30, 2011 6:08 PM

Rob Farley said:

No worries - that's not a new thing, you realise...

August 30, 2011 6:14 PM

Geoff said:

It's the little things that make all the difference. I've used Oracle a bit and I've used SQL Server more. The main difference in terms of why I like SQL Server is Management Studio. It's just easy to use.

It even makes file system management relatively easy.

And this is my exact opposite experience with SSIS. I have abandoned using SSIS in favor of Pentaho.

August 31, 2011 10:56 AM

Random DBA said:

You want it to parse selected text?  Yeah, that is asking too much.

August 31, 2011 12:30 PM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Geoff - sorry to hear about your SSIS experience, but it's good you have something you like in Pentaho.

Hi Randy (is that a legitimate abbreviation?) - Well yeah, I figured it probably was, but also thought there could be a significant crowd of "Yeah, that'd be nice, and not too hard either" feeling people. Thanks for your thought though. :)

August 31, 2011 5:32 PM