Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

World Series of PASS

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2011/08/17/world-series-of-pass/

Published Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:31 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

John Walker said:

firstly, congrats rob on the PASS position, its good to see some non-US influence coming through PASS.

secondly..  i am left pondering if this quote "It’s clear that the majority of PASS members are in the US" is actualised because of the US focus, are the majority of members from the US because the US is the focus, which leads to US events and around we go again.

It would be great to see some events such as SQL Saturday make an appearance in Australia, especially considering that SQL Code camp is in a bit of a hiatus at the moment.

August 17, 2011 1:09 AM

Rob Farley said:

Thanks John.

Yes, it's circular, but it's also because the US is where Microsoft is based, and where more SQL Server licenses are sold than any other country.

As for a local event, keep your ear to the ground for announcements...

August 17, 2011 1:25 AM

John Walker said:

I'll look forward to a local announcement soon,

how about a hint, does it start with "SQL" and end in "saturday"?

August 17, 2011 1:39 AM

Rob Farley said:

No, it doesn't. It's more likely to rhyme with "doolally"

August 17, 2011 1:42 AM

raja said:

it was nice!

August 17, 2011 2:47 AM

Jack Corbett said:

I think it's great that the PASS board is reaching out to community leaders around the globe.  Having just spent 4 years working in a non-profit that sends people around the globe and had global partners, I can say from that limited experience, it will not be easy for PASS to become more global.  Honestly, the biggest problem will be money.  Because the US has one of the largest economies in the world most money will come from the US and, unfortunately, that tends to create a US bias.

Eventually I think PASS will have to "regionalize" and have an international board to set organizational direction, which regional boards will implement.

August 17, 2011 9:11 AM

andyleonard said:

Hi Rob,

Congratulations! I think this is good for PASS and good the community. I believe the SQL Server Community has been global for some time now, and it's cool to see PASS taking steps that recognize and support this fact.

I agree with Jack that there will be challenges, but I believe the SQL Server Community has shown incredible resilience in the past. I wish you the best and I think you'll do just fine.

:{>

August 17, 2011 4:28 PM

Rob Farley said:

Thanks Jack & Andy - encouragement's always a good thing. :)

August 21, 2011 10:28 PM

Andy Warren said:

Rob, we're excited to have you join us, and I think you're right that even as non-voting (for now) members you'll exert a lot of influence, in particular because we want to learn, and one size fits all won't work. We'll need a variety of strategies to succeed internationally. As Jack points out just funding international growth is hard. It's one thing for PASS to invest in "reach" over "viewers", but a whole different thing to sell sponsors on that, and often sponsors pay the bills. Interesting stuff for sure!

August 22, 2011 8:20 AM