Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

Using SQL Execution Plans to discover the Swedish alphabet

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2011/01/03/using-sql-execution-plans-to-discover-the-swedish-alphabet/

Published Monday, January 3, 2011 4:54 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

Simon said:

What happened to W?

January 3, 2011 6:39 AM

Rob Farley said:

It's been pointed out that W is missing in my list. Wikipedia says: "Until recently the letter ‹w› was treated as a variant form of ‹v› at least for sorting purposes, and this practice is still commonly encountered."

So I guess this explains why the EndRange value following V is X.

Rob

January 3, 2011 6:58 AM

kendra little said:

SQL Server isn't the only thing that's remarkable.

I'm not sure if this is a masterpiece, if I just learned something, or if I should be a little bit afraid.

January 5, 2011 3:38 PM

KDF9 said:

Running SET SHOWPLAN_TEXT ON; GO; SET NOEXEC OFF; GO; SELECT col FROM dbo.collation_test where col like 'V%'; in Management Studio Express 9 gives the same results.

But with default SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation, the lower bound is strangely different, and the second LIKE is needed because the seek has a >=þ, hex FE, where >hex FF would be expected:

SEEK:([MyDatabase].[dbo].[collation_test].[col] >= 'Üþ' AND [MyDatabase].[dbo].[collation_test].[col] < 'W'),

WHERE:([MyDatabase].[dbo].[collation_test].[col] like 'V%') ORDERED FORWARD)

January 9, 2011 6:36 PM

Adde said:

W is a very rare letter in swedish, I honestly can't think of any words (apart from names and imported foreign words) that contain W.

The alphabet they teach the kids in school these days doesn't even contain W and I'm pretty sure our phonebooks and dictionaries treat V and W as the same letter orderwise.

January 11, 2011 4:43 AM