Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

PASS Summit Feedback

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2010/12/28/pass-summit-feedback/

Published Monday, December 27, 2010 11:05 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

WIDBA said:

I have to say, I was at the presentation and thought it was fun.  I did take away two really great points from the presentation (shrinking plan) that I probably didn't think of when writing my review.  Your style was welcome and definitely a welcome respite as it was between Conor Cunningham and Bob Ward's content packed presentations.

December 27, 2010 8:25 AM

Rob Farley said:

No worries, Zach. I'm pleased you got some good points from it. :)

December 27, 2010 8:28 AM

andyleonard said:

I am a raving fan of Rob and Brent!

:{>

December 27, 2010 8:51 AM

Bill Graefe said:

How about a caveat/disclaimer to start the presentations?

December 27, 2010 4:14 PM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Bill,

I'd like to think that shouldn't be necessary.

In fact, I've found that warning people about things only seeds their feedback. I've taught basic T-SQL to people, and told people who have actually been writing queries for a year already that they may find the first part of the course slow-going, while I make sure that the beginners have grasped the basics enough and are eased into the whole concept of queries. The more advanced students will repeat my warning on the feedback form almost word for word - I've effectively seeded their criticism.

So... maybe, but I'm not sure that a warning or disclaimer will actually help much.

Rob

December 27, 2010 4:49 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

Rob,

I really enjoyed your talk on shrinking plans and such. Of course your style is quite unique, so uploading a trailer of your presentation on youtube would help people decide if they want more of it.

December 27, 2010 6:04 PM

Kendra Little said:

I'm a fan. I'd be a raving fan if I could, but I'm from Seattle, and, you know, we're just not completely capable of that in general. ;)

My comment is that I think this is the *best* way I've seen to talk about feedback from the PASS Summit. I like the format and discussion a lot.

I also really admire your comments that you don't want to conform because of getting a difficult spot of ratings, but you're still seeing what you can learn from the feedback. That's the approach I want to take, too.

December 28, 2010 1:50 PM

Paul Turley said:

Non-conformists rarely please all of the people all the time.  Rob, you are who you are and and many people appreciate your personality and presentation style.  You have knowlege, experience and insights to share.  I enjoyed all of your presentations at PASS and spending time chatting with you at the conference.  We all learn from feedback but that doesn't mean you have to change who or how you are.  You don't need a disclaimer or warning.  Just a guess but I'll bet Buck W and Paul R get their share of comments from people who get their feathers ruffled.  The rest of us think they rock.

December 28, 2010 4:36 PM

Rob Farley said:

Thanks for your comments, Andy, Alex, Kendra & Paul.

I do plan to continue improving as time goes on. For example, I want to make sure that my conversational style doesn't come across as purely conversational when making points that are actually very significant. I talk about the importance of seeing data in sets (eg Products) rather than a class (eg Product) because it's far easier to get what's happening with the Query Optimizer that way - but need to make sure that it doesn't come across as filler.

And I don't want to simply cater for those who like my style. I need to be conscious of those who don't like it, and make sure that the size of that group is shrinking, not growing.

I might even reintroduce slides at some point - although it might be more for making sure that audience members who have downloaded it have some background reading rather than it being script for me to follow.

December 28, 2010 6:27 PM