Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and runs training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

In my presentation

So I’m in the middle of a presentation at SQLPASS, and thought I’d just write a blogpost. (Here’s the key – it’s the Zoom function)

My session is on the Incredible Shrinking Execution Plan, and the basic idea behind it is to demonstrate stuff that the Query Optimizer can do to avoid work. It’s much like some of the people I’ve worked with over the years…

Anyway – my audience is looking at me funny, so I’d better get back to it.

Published Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:43 AM by Rob Farley
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Doug said:

I could care less ;)

November 10, 2010 6:18 PM

David Gardiner said:

The other way to shrink your execution plan if you're using Denali is to zoom out, now that SMSS is using the VS2010/WPF shell :-)

-dave

November 10, 2010 6:49 PM

Dave Ballantyne said:

Hope you had that pre-prepared,  dont type in demos :)

November 11, 2010 3:34 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Dave: Rob needs to learn to type MORE in his demos. This would keep him from making jokes that no one in the audience finds to be funny. The real issue may be his rather obscure rural farmboy accent, and for that I recommend several years of language therapy. He also needs to discontinue his use of quaint terms like "boiled sweet," which brings his intelligence into question. Doesn't he KNOW that it's called "candy?"

So yeah, a lot more typing. Please.

November 11, 2010 2:28 PM

Rob Farley said:

Yeah - very funny Adam. Will you be able to deliver this language therapy yourself? ;)

And yes, Dave - it was pre-prepared. And I only hit Publish just _after_ the talk finished.

November 12, 2010 12:24 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

Rob,

You really need to get your facts straight before you present. I am a C# developer, and we C# developers do not, repeat NOT, know how to write SELECT * FROM SomeTable. We don't have to anymore - in 21st century LINQ does it for us ;).

November 12, 2010 1:57 PM

Rob Farley said:

Haha - nice.

And we all know about the kinds of queries that LINQ produces.

November 12, 2010 2:09 PM