Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

Changes to the Microsoft Partner Program

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2010/07/01/changes-to-the-microsoft-partner-program/

Published Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:58 AM by Rob Farley

Comments

SQLvariant said:

It seems like that takes away the incentive to have more than say two MCITPs.  I mean if you only can use one to help your company then what's the point in having more than one.  I have 5 MCITPs myself but under this new system it seems there will be no point for me to ever get certified in SQL 11 because they will surely still accept my SQL 2008 MCITPs nmeaning that I won't need to bother getting another MCITP until SQL 12.

June 30, 2010 9:24 PM

analyst said:

I would also suggest to re-visit Microsoft regional directors program.

Those people must be nominated by Microsoft, elected for 2 years only and voted only by MVPs/MCPs.

Let's say we have got 5 nominees and only one could be elected for Sydney (NSW) for 2 years.

We don't need 3 regional directors for Sydney.

June 30, 2010 9:27 PM

Rob Farley said:

A work in progress, I’m sure, as the particular requirements haven’t actually been made clear yet. I

June 30, 2010 9:32 PM

Rob Farley said:

Hi Aaron - actually, you should still pursue more, because you can still contribute towards multiple Standard Competencies. And you never know which Advanced ones your company is likely to go for.

I think certification is always worth having. It demonstrates all kinds of good qualities, particularly an interest in professional development.

June 30, 2010 10:02 PM

Glenn Berry said:

It seems like people are always looking for reasons to not get certified. I think it shows that you have some initiative and care about your professional development. It can also help you get further through the screening process if you are in the job market. It also helps your company achieve Partner competencies, which increases your value as an employee.

Of course certification is not a substitute for hands-on experience, knowledge and common sense. More people should just take the exams, and be done with them as each new major version of SQL Server comes out.

July 1, 2010 10:50 PM

Rob Farley said:

Glenn - I agree. From my experience in helping create the exams, they're designed to allow people working in the field to be able to pass with no (or little) additional extra study. In which case, you can easily maintain certification level and prove your worth to employers (particularly if they're partners) by doing exams when they come out (even in beta, which count as passing the live one too). All SQL professionals should do the relevant exams.

And... it's quite telling that the Advanced Competencies in BI and Data both require the 2008 certs. So it's definitely worth being up-to-date.

July 1, 2010 11:09 PM

Deepak said:

The only thing I don't like is that MCPs cannot contribute towards multiple Advance competencies.

July 6, 2010 11:59 PM