Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

Fetching Latitude and Longitude Co-ordinates for Addresses using PowerShell

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2010/05/23/fetching-latitude-and-longitude-co-ordinates-for-addresses-using-powershell/

Published Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:59 PM by Rob Farley

Comments

Jacques Willemen said:

Hi Rob,

I try to imitate what you do because it seems very nice,

but I am not sure about the line:

$wsgr.Credentials = $wsgrb

because the variable $wsgrb is not defined before.

I guess that is why I get an error message:

'Exception calling "Geocode" with "1" argument(s): "Credentials are either invalid or unspecified."'

Or...?

Greetings from Breda, Netherlands

May 23, 2010 8:55 AM

Rob Farley said:

Ah - thanks Jacques. That was a typo. Fixed now. Should've been $wsgrc

Rob

May 23, 2010 7:09 PM

Matt Penner said:

Hey Rob,

Great article.  I used to do this in my last job a few years ago with the Google Maps API before Bing Maps was around.

I don't know about now, but back then the Google API limited geocoding to one about every couple of seconds.  This way they weren't flooded with users trying to geocode a thousand person mailing list through their API.

Does Bing not have any sort of limit on the amount or frequency of addresses you can geocode?

Thanks!

Matt Penner

June 1, 2010 3:39 PM

Rob Farley said:

Displaying information on an interactive map really isn’t that hard to do. My friends John & Bronwen

June 28, 2010 1:11 AM

Pushkar said:

Hello Rob,

I am using spatial database to create tiles over Bing maps and plot all restaurants/gas stations etc. in a specific area.

Can we have something on DB side(StoredProc or something) to locate places of interest in specific radius of a specified lat/long?

Thanks.

June 7, 2011 6:47 AM

Rob Farley said:

Yes, absolutely. Use the geography type in SQL, and put a spatial index on the field. Then you can easily use the functions such as STDistance to work out the closest, and so on.

June 7, 2011 6:54 AM

Pushkar said:

Thanks a lot. :)

June 8, 2011 7:37 AM

srinivas said:

hi,

Fetching Latitude and Longitude Co-ordinates for Addresses using php.

September 13, 2011 2:42 AM

Rob Farley said:

Srinivas,

If php lets you call web services, you should be able to translate the code easily enough. It's been too long since I did php for me to be able to help you.

Rob

September 13, 2011 4:17 AM

Brian Livingston said:

Great post.  I am trying to update the latitude/longitude via powershell but can't get it to work.  I am basically hitting the bing service with an address retrieving the longitude/latitude then trying to assign those values to the geocode for the list object I am working with.

Here is a small snippet of my code I am testing with.

$LIST_ITEM_TO_UPDATE['Geo Location'].Latitude = 10

$LIST_ITEM_TO_UPDATE['Geo Location'].Longitude = 10

$LIST_ITEM_TO_UPDATE.update()

March 12, 2014 4:31 PM

Carl Williams said:

Haha, pretty slick Rob. Good job.

January 2, 2015 5:55 PM