Rob Farley

- Owner/Principal with LobsterPot Solutions (a MS Gold Partner consulting firm), Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft MVP (SQL Server), APS/PDW trainer and leader of the SQL User Group in Adelaide, Australia. Rob is a former director of PASS, and provides consulting and training courses around the world in SQL Server and BI topics.

My new laptop - with a really nice battery option

Hi! - Great that you've found this page, but it's no longer here! You can find the content over at: http://blogs.lobsterpot.com.au/2010/04/09/my-new-laptop-with-a-really-nice-battery-option/

Published Friday, April 9, 2010 1:26 AM by Rob Farley

Comments

cinahcaM madA said:

Lenovo laptops have a feature where the battery charge doesn't kick in until the battery has reached a certain level (user specified). I have mine set to 95%. This keeps the thing from discharging a bit as it sits there, then jumping into a charge, then discharging, etc. Same end-effect of the feature on your Dell, prolonging the battery's life, but it's a bit more automatic.

April 8, 2010 10:52 AM

Rob Farley said:

Nice. I considered a Lenovo - I've heard a lot of good things about them - but it was also a lot more expensive than the Dell.

April 8, 2010 11:03 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

I have an XPS-16, had it for some 6 months now. Love it! I have older proc specs, though. I'v considered goind SSD, but I still need so many VHDs for training and I really dislike external drives. Might go there in the end, though. I wish the manufactirers would make it standard to have a smaller form factor SSD drive for "system" stuff and the traditional drive for "other" stuff. Let us know if/when you start investigate the SSD area.

April 8, 2010 12:20 PM

Bruce said:

I also heard that the Lenovos do not use the battery if the laptop is plugged in. It's something called ThinkVantage. I don't own one but ever since I heard about it, I have been looking for one. But they are pricey which is why I'm still looking.

April 8, 2010 3:38 PM

Ewen said:

http://www.anandtech.com/ have good articles on SSDs. fyi- it was down at the time of writing.

April 9, 2010 3:54 AM

danh said:

Sounds like a nice machine.

I have a 160Gb Intel X25-M in my XPS M1330 and it is very good, has certainly extended the life of my laptop.

I am running Win 7 64 bit with 4 Gb Ram.

An App like Excel 2010 64 loads in less than a second.

My VMWare image of a Server 2008 boots not much slower than my i7 based server at home...

April 12, 2010 6:05 AM

Matt Taylor said:

Hey Rob

Hope you and the family are all well.  Work crossed my path with a very switched on guy some years ago and I keep an eye on his blog.  He just wrote this article that I'm sure will interest you in terms of SSDs; http://planetwilson.blogspot.com/2010/03/ssd-goodness-and-sharepoint-virtual.html

April 12, 2010 6:42 PM

Alex-Hong Kong said:

I have a Dell Vostro v130 and it came with the same option. I think that is pretty nice it will definitely helps extends the lifetime of the battery. I use my laptop mostly at office and at home, when it is plugged constantly, so I don't really need the battery to be kept recharging all the time.

Alex

January 20, 2011 2:25 AM

Alyssa said:

I have a problem and I am hoping someone could help.  I have a Dell Latitude D620, originally came with XP, upgraded to 7.  My ex somehow disable my battery charging option so that when it is plugged in the battery does not charge, and as you can guess the battery eventually got so low from unplugging it that it is now dead.  How can I turn it back on?  I know it isn't the battery because I just bought a brand new one from Dell.  Any help would be great.  Thanks :)

January 26, 2012 2:05 PM