SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

Expert Cube Development book finally on Kindle!

The book Expert Cube Development with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services is finally available on Kindle!

I received many requests for that and the last one just a couple of days ago from Greg Low in its useful review. I'm curious to see whether the sales of this book will continue also on Kindle. After 2 years this book is still continuing to sell as in the first months. The content is still fresh and will be good also with the next release of Analysis Services for developing multidimensional models. Thus, the only explanation is that the adoption of Analysis Services is still increasing and after the first cubes, readers look for more advanced content. We'll see if Kindle will follow the same trend as the printed version!

Published Friday, June 24, 2011 12:15 AM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)
Filed under: ,

Comments

Craig said:

How about a discount for those of us that already own the hard copy? ;)

June 23, 2011 6:52 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Good question! :)

I asked to the publisher...

June 24, 2011 1:30 AM

Bob Duffy said:

Cool - Just off to buy my Kindle Copy. Have used the hard copy a lot!

June 24, 2011 3:29 AM

Steve P said:

Do the screenshots and stuff work well on the kindle? I know its great for text but when you have shaded diagrams and screenshots of dialogs they've often looked a bit hard to read on a kindle. Its the only thing putting me off getting one.

I cart my PDF library around with me on a USB stick instead, though there are some you can't get PDF's of and that's why there's always a stack of books on my desk :-)

My paper copy of Expert Cube Dev is looking a bit well thumbed these days.

June 24, 2011 6:31 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

@Craig: I talked with the publisher, it seems an issue to combine a discount for Amazon-Kindle for existing customers with the printed book. Sorry for that. But I will try to push harder for this request.

@Steve: I will take a look - do you have a Kindle DX or the little one?

June 24, 2011 1:45 PM

Mike Hackett said:

I had just mentioned Expert Cube Development in a blog post and was looking for a reference URL and came across the news that NOW the book is on Kindle.  Alas, too late for me. I've been lugging the printed version back and forth to work to read on the train.

I have to say, it's a great book. I've picked up a lot from it.

June 24, 2011 4:53 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Thanks for the nice word, Mike!

June 24, 2011 5:42 PM

Tomislav Piasevoli said:

Guys,

about a year ago, the publisher added the ePub version of the book in addition to the already existing PDF version, see here:

If you, like me, bought both versions of that book on that site (print + eBook), you're entitled to the ePub version and can download it for free, then convert it to the mobi format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#Epub_support), transfer that file via the USB cable and use it on your Kindle.

I've been reading it on my 6" Kindle ever since I've bought it (the Kindle, not the book) and it looks just fine.

OK, so you bought your book on Amazon or another bookshop? Not a problem at all. Even now it's cheaper to buy the eBook version on publisher's site than the Kindle version on Amazon. Of course, it's not a one click action like buying Kindle books on Amazon, but if you're reading this blog, it shouldn't be a problem :-). Not to mention that you get both the PDF and ePub versions, so you can really read it anywhere on anything, anytime.

It's great that the book is finally available in Kindle format too, for those who prefer simplicity, but I thought I let you know these things. The choice is yours, of course.

Good luck with additional sales Marco, it's a great book!

June 26, 2011 8:38 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Tomislav,

thank you very much for your detailed instructions and feedback!

Marco