SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

How to install SpeedFiler on Outlook 2010 (aka Outlook 14)

This is off-topic here on SQLBlog, I know, but I think there will be many users like me wanting to find the solution for this problem.

If you have SpeedFiler there is a problem installing it on Outlook 2010. The setup of SpeedFiler stop showing this message:

SpeedFiler 2.0.0.0 works with the following products
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
None of these products seems to be installed on your system.
SpeedFiler will not be installed.

Well, in reality SpeedFiler works with Outlook 2010 too, but the setup refuses to install it. We can modify the registry by creating an entry.

DISCLAIMER: ANY CHANGE TO WINDOWS REGISTRY IS AT YOUR RISK!! BE CAREFUL!!

If you have a 32-bit operating system: you have to copy the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path entry (with the same data) into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path.

If you have a 64-bit operating system: you have to copy the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path entry (with the same data) into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path.

After this change, Speedfiler setup works fine.

Message in a bottle: I hope Microsoft will include the SpeedFiler feature.

UPDATE: I found a tool that can replace SpeedFiler - it is SimplyFile and also support Outlook 2010 on both 32 and 64 bit! I already made the switch.

Published Friday, April 23, 2010 11:47 AM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)

Comments

Davide Mauri said:

Thanks Marco!!! I was really missing SpeedFiler!

April 23, 2010 5:59 AM

Anon said:

Fantastic, really appreciated thanks. Had emailed Claritude about this months ago and then again recently and never heard back.

Internet awesomeness, thanks for sharing.

April 26, 2010 12:56 AM

lynell said:

Hey I like your article it was great. Ive been looking for new software and found  Planplus  Online it’s a new software that helps you take charge of your life ,business ,, and  you evr day planner… tatinyurl.com/planplusv7

or

www.franklincoveysoftware.com

May 25, 2010 3:45 PM

Gabe said:

Fix works great but how to add the speedfiler toolbar to the outlook 2010 main toolbar?

May 26, 2010 2:27 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

SpeedFiler doesn't show itself well in the Ribbon. I just installed the last beta of SimplyFile (http://www.techhit.com/SimplyFile/) and it works fine in the ribbon of Office 2010.

May 26, 2010 6:58 PM

martin said:

i have just installed SimplyFile and it adds diretcly in to the main outlook 2010 ribbon - phew I thought I was going to be lost without speedfilter funtionality...

June 17, 2010 6:28 AM

John Mould said:

After applying the fix.

Add Speedfiler as a custom toolbar to the quick access toolbar.

Cheers

July 2, 2010 5:59 PM

Darryl Gittins said:

Can someone perhaps tell me the correct registry path? I don't see the Wow6432Node

Thanks

August 24, 2010 12:23 AM

Darryl Gittins said:

I found the the Wow6432Node. Strangely enough, Regalyzer doesn't list the Wow6432Node. I had to open Regedit to see it.

Unfortunately, the hack didn't work for me. I think because I nstalled the 64 bit version of 2010. Then after discovering that 2010 also wipes all my Word macros and Autocorrect functions, I decided to roll back to Office 2007. The ribbon addition to Outlook is bad enough, but I'm going to forgo all the tremendous functionality in speedfiler and my Word customizations for the sake of negligable improvements in Office 2010.

August 24, 2010 3:32 PM

jacinto perez said:

March 24, 2011 7:30 AM

Ariel said:

Another very important tip:

Now that you have Speedfiler 2.0 successfully installed in Outlook 2010, you'll probably notice that the Speedfiler Toolbar keeps disappearing. I figured out how to get it back permanently. There is a speedfiler regkey that informs speedfiler add-on to reinstall the toolbar. You have to keep resetting this key so that the next time Outlook loads, the toolbar gets reloaded. Here's the info:

2 modes - Manual and Automatic:

1. Manual - create a text file with .reg suffix with the following content. You need to double-click on this file and install the regkey before starting Outlook 2010:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Claritude Software\SpeedFiler]

"ToolbarCreated_SpeedFiler Main Toolbar"=dword:00000000

2. Automatic - create an Outlook VBA script and run it from several locations as I describe below:

Sub KeepSpeedFilerToolbar()

Dim myRegKey As String

Dim myValue As String

myRegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Claritude Software\SpeedFiler\ToolbarCreated_SpeedFiler Main Toolbar"

RegKeySave myRegKey, 0, "REG_DWORD"

End Sub

more instructions...

in "ThisOutlookSession", Call KeepSpeedFilerToolbar from the following built-in functions:

Application_MAPILogonComplete()

Application_Quit()

Application_Startup()

Cheers!

Ariel

April 25, 2012 7:48 AM

Rob said:

I can't seem to get round this one,

I have 2 registry entries, the original:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\14.0\OUTLOOK\INSTALLROOT\PATH (Value = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\)

and the registry entry that I have created:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\12.0\OUTLOOK\INSTALLROOT\PATH

(Value = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\)

and I still get the same error.

This blog seems to be the only place offering any kind of solution (which is great by the way) does anyone have any ideas why?

Thanks,

Rob

July 6, 2012 8:35 AM

Bill said:

Rob, you have to go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot

if you are running 64-bit Windows 7 and 32-bit Office

September 4, 2012 9:47 AM

Chris said:

I tried the fix for the 64 and the 32 bit versions and I am still getting a message that it needs Outlook 2003 or 2007 in orcer to be installed.  Anyone know of any other fixes?

Thanks

October 18, 2012 12:16 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Chris,

I no longer use Speed Filer and I use SimplyFile instead, which works on Outlook 2013, too: http://www.techhit.com/SimplyFile/

Marco