SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

Inevitability of Gemini

I looked at some of the Gemini comments wrote in the week-end. I'm sincerely worried about the possible abuse of this tool, just like everyone over there. However, I think that Microsoft shown Gemini so early (read my previous post about what Microsoft has not shown) just to make a position in the market. There are other tools out there that are similar to Gemini but that are proposed as an economical alternative to classical DW/OLAP solutions. The fact that also Microsoft will be part of this market should clarify to several customers that these two technologies are not necessarily concurrent but could be complementary.

Of course, the problem is that this technology is particularly subject to misuse and abuse. I liked the analogy made by Chris between Gemini and illegal drugs. What is the best way to control them? Legalization or prohibitionism? It's a really hard question. Considering we are talking about software and you can't have rules and police to enforce prohibitionism, it seems to me that legalization is the only way to control it.

However, my worst nightmare is another one: looking at some MS marketing presentation selling Gemini as the "final solution" to every BI needs. Will Microsoft be able to correctly instruct their sales rep and their partners about how to correctly position its product? In my opinion, this will be the most critical part of the Gemini debut.

Published Monday, October 13, 2008 12:31 PM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)

Comments

James Luetkehoelter said:

Argh, Marco you beat me to the post. I whole-heartedly agree. I was just going to post something similar.

October 13, 2008 11:28 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

James, I'm sorry about that :)

However, as I said in another post, the session made by Amir Netz during the conference has a 20 minutes introduction (about "that guy"... that is the Excel Power User to whom Gemini is aimed) that should be recorded and distributed everywher, starting from MS marketing and sales rep. In his vision, Gemini is a great help to build a complete BI infrastructure and not an obstacle. This vision is consistent and farsighted. I hope Microsoft will make it publicly available as soon as possible.

October 13, 2008 11:49 AM

Amir Netz said:

Hi Marco,

Here is my feedback to Chris - I think this new analogy is better than the one he used. I copied it here for your convinience:

In many ways, today's BI world behaves very much like a 1920's centralized communist regime. The central BI government owns all of the legal supply side. It believes it knows better than anyone what the citizens needs and wants and set up to provide everyone’s needs. While it does not have the capacity to handle anything close to the full needs of the population, it prefers that some will go hungry and barefoot rather than let them supply their own needs. In fact, it will prosecute anyone who shows any enterprise spirit offering an alternative supply route. It will demonize the free enterprises, call them “capitalist pigs”, “traitors of the cause”. The central goverment believes its suppression of the free enterprises is for the “common good of the motherland”, even at the cost of the suffering of the citizens, without realizing that the motherland is supposed to serve the citizens first and foremost.

The central regime will find itself with an endless attrition war against the population. The black market will thrive unless ruthless measures are taken. Back to our BI world – these iron fist measures are mostly unacceptable in today’s enterprises. Therefore the central IT government often finds itself without much teeth. It can wage a propaganda war but the citizens will mostly ignore it and will continue with their black market activities.

Gemini is the “glasnosts”. It is the relaxation of the central monopolization of the supply taps. It is about allowing free enterprises to operate, as long as they are not overstepping reasonable bounds. It is about oversight rather than suppression. Gemini is about trusting the citizens to do the right things once given a chance (presumed innocent unless proven guilty). In such a market the citizens and the government work together for the benefit of the population. This new marketplace is about creating efficiencies and encouraging creativity. It is about letting new ideas float and let the market pick the winners. The government will still hold firm control over the most essential services: military, judicial, education and healthcare. But at the same time, it will allow almost everything else to be generated by the free population. It will hold a regulatory and police force to verify that the bounds are not stepped over but at the same time, will be non-intrusive until violations occur.

So, which regime do you endorse?

Amir.

October 14, 2008 12:55 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Amir,

there is no way about the regime I endorse (the "glasnosts" one)! :)

Thank you for your comment - may I reproduce it in a blog post to give more visibility to it?

Marco

October 14, 2008 3:21 AM

Amir Netz said:

Go ahead Marco. You may look at the continued discussion on Chris' Blog.

October 14, 2008 8:41 PM