Linchi Shea

Checking out SQL Server via empirical data points

Survey: How do you manage the source code for your personal projects?

This seems to be the survey season. Andy’s post on source controlling T-SQL code triggered a question that I always wanted to ask.

Do you version control the source code for your various personal projects (i.e. not projects of your customer or employer)? Do you use a computer at home for your source control repository, or do you use a hosting service such as ProjectLocker? If you do it yourself at home, what version control software you use? If you use a hosting service, what’s your experience?

I must admit that so far I have not version controlled any source code files I wrote for my personal projects (e.g. C# source code, Perl scripts, and T-SQL scripts). But increasingly, I feel the need to do so before it becomes too unwieldy. I have no intention of becoming a version control expert and don’t want to spend too much time safeguarding the repository at home. A hosting service therefore appears to be a nice option. But I have had zero direct experience with that, and would very much like to hear your comments. That is the selfish motivation for this post.

Published Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:09 PM by Linchi Shea

Comments

Denis Gobo said:

My setup is pretty simple

VisualSVN Server on box, AnkhSVN plugin for Visual Studio

And then backups to external drive once a day or so (also have backups on DVD)

March 11, 2010 1:31 PM

jamiet said:

Live Mesh for me. Simple as hell but it works.

March 11, 2010 1:35 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Ashamed to say that my own stuff tends to spill out into a folder or right on the desktop in a James Joyce-ian stream of consciousness (if you don't know what that means, pick up the novel Ulysses and try to finish the first sentence).

March 11, 2010 2:15 PM

Wes Brown said:

Vault by sourcegear is free for single use stores everything in a SQL Server database. I back that up and put it up on my dropbox.

March 11, 2010 2:20 PM

Scott Whigham said:

VisualSVN Server for me as well

March 11, 2010 2:25 PM

Wes Williams said:

I'm looking forward to trying SQL Source Control (http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Source_Control/) once it's production quality, and if the pricing is good.  No affiliation with Red Gate.

In the mean time, I'm archiving folder-based SSMS scripts manually, to "Archive" folders.  Visual Studio projects are versioned with VisualSVN and AnkhSVN.

March 11, 2010 2:31 PM

Linchi Shea said:

Jamiet;

How do you do source code version control with Live Mesh? Or am I looking at something different?

March 11, 2010 2:33 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

"Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it."

-- Linus Torvalds

March 11, 2010 2:42 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

I use DropBox.com. It keeps a backup in the cloud, keeps older versions, and makes it trivial to share copies of current code between multiple machines.

March 11, 2010 2:58 PM

Linchi Shea said:

Paul;

I just watched the video on the DropBox.com homepage. Is it the case that Dropbox.com doesn't do any version control per se? You are basically doing the version control yourself and use Dropbox.com as a cloud storage place. Did I read it wrong?

March 11, 2010 3:19 PM

Bill Graziano said:

I use a hosted subversion.  (http://beanstalkapp.com/)  The price is reasonable and was easy to setup.  It gets all my code off premises.

March 12, 2010 8:04 AM

PHenry said:

I use SVN at home (server and client).  Works awesome, easy to setup, cinch to admin, easy add/commit via VS/VisualSVN/Tortoise.  We use SVN at work, so using it at home re-enforced idea I was using/learning at work.  Nice setup IMHO.

March 12, 2010 12:49 PM

PHenry said:

Oh, another addition to previous comments.  I tried using CodePlex last year, but two problems arose, 1) it was slow and 2) it was using TFS as the native back end and is using an SVNBridge piece which just isn't bullet proof yet (not even close IMHO!).  So I kept using my own server until such a time CodePlex bridge becomes more stable.

March 12, 2010 12:51 PM

Jack said:

I used to use SVN, but most times, there is no code control

March 15, 2010 5:06 AM

Thomas Edwin said:

mercurial

March 15, 2010 9:54 AM

slavo said:

I use Mercurial - very easy to use and setup (i.e. you need no server setup for small local development) and there are many tools (like TortoiseHG) and IDE plugins. Command line commands are similar to SVN.

See http://mercurial.selenic.com/

"Mercurial is a free, distributed source control management tool. It efficiently handles projects of any size and offers an easy and intuitive interface."

-- http://mercurial.selenic.com/

March 15, 2010 10:01 AM

silverj said:

SVN on a self hosted server

March 15, 2010 10:05 AM

Chris said:

Try unfuddle. It is free for up to 200MB.

March 15, 2010 10:05 AM

Alb said:

I have a web hosting account with dreamhost.com and you can make as many SVN repositories as you like, It's great. In my opinion source control is a must even for the smallest of projects, it's quick and easy to setup and is just good s/w eng practice.

March 15, 2010 10:28 AM

gonzalo said:

bazaar with qbzr. Using Total Commander with custom buttons for launch bazaar.

March 15, 2010 1:01 PM

Antony said:

Tortoise SVN. I don't have it set up on a server, it's on a different disk on my laptop, and I back it up with the rest of the system periodically.

March 15, 2010 2:16 PM

Mike said:

Mercurial, and keep a clone of repository on DropBox. That way, can do work on any machine, and all version controlled.

As others have said, lightweight, no server install/copy required.

TortoiseHG reasonably good.

March 15, 2010 2:45 PM

Rob W said:

Ditto on Alb's response -- SVN setup on Dreamhost (a cheap hosting account I've had for years to host family/friends websites and my various little side projects).  No extra cost for me (already paying for the hosting there), easy to set up and maintain, and it's offsite, in case my house goes up in flames or something.

I can't bear re-writing code, re-fixing bugs, etc., so I'm pretty strict about source control.  It's also quite useful for working from different computers, and occasionally for tracking down newly introduced bugs (since I can determine exactly what code changed, test with older revisions, etc.).

March 15, 2010 6:06 PM

Jason Bentley said:

http://www.projectlocker.com (SVN) offers 500mb if memory serves. Does everything I need including Trac integration. Awesome and easy upgrades if you grow beyond the free version.

March 15, 2010 8:43 PM

Baptiste Wicht said:

I installed a server at home with Subversion. I made my server accessible with DynDns, so i can use it from the school, the work and at home with no problem.

I also use a Continous Server and a Quality Analysis server on the same server.

March 16, 2010 6:05 AM

Sam said:

I use Mercurial, and I only use it via NetBeans. Dead easy. I make daily backups, but that's a different story.

March 16, 2010 8:07 AM

Dan said:

Google Docs.

March 16, 2010 6:52 PM

carl said:

mercurial

March 16, 2010 8:58 PM

Phil Brammer said:

dropbox.com does retain your versions and will allow you to restore to any version or simply download a past version if you don't want to lose the current changes.

March 19, 2010 11:27 PM

jotrys said:

At the moment nothing.

But I am looking for something. I am thinking of SVN.

March 23, 2010 6:05 PM

Mark Allison said:

I have a VMware ESXi server at home with a Debian vitual machine on it. This hosts an SVN server and I use tortoise to version control. Looking forward to the red-gate offering when it comes out. http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Source_Control/index.htm

Mark.

April 19, 2010 9:57 AM

David BAFFALEUF said:

CVS  + Tortoise.

May 31, 2010 9:32 AM

Matthew said:

Check out http://www.assembla.com. They offer free private repos with unlimited users and 1GB storage. You can upgrade your free repo to include ticket, collaboration, and project management tools.

Also, with the semi-recent release of Subversion 1.7, make sure to update to a Subversion 1.7 supported client to take advantage of the performance benefits and client side improvements. Here is a resource for free downloads of Subversion 1.7 compatible svn clients: http://svn-ref.assembla.com/download-clients.html.

January 5, 2012 2:22 PM