I always enjoy presenting at the DevLink conference, presented each summer in middle Tennessee. This year, I'm trying to be a better social media person and actually post my slides (in their most recent forms) on my SlideShare account for everyone to see and share. If you attended my session(s) and enjoyed them, feel free to download the content here. But it'd be even better if you also left a few words in the Comment section. Skip below to grab the slide decks.
Thanks very much! Enjoy,
-Follow me on Twitter!
-More content at KevinEKline.com
Microsoft SQL Server Internals & Architecture
Let’s face it. You can effectively do many IT jobs related to Microsoft SQL Server without knowing the internals of how SQL Server works. Many great developers, DBAs, and designers get their day-to-day work completed on time and with reasonable quality while never really knowing what’s happening behind the scenes. But if you want to take your skills to the next level, it’s critical to know SQL Server’s internal processes and architecture. This session will answer questions like:
- What are the various areas of memory inside of SQL Server?
- How are queries handled behind the scenes?
- What does SQL Server do with procedural code, like functions, procedures, and triggers?
- What happens during checkpoints? Lazywrites?
- How are IOs handled with regards to transaction logs and database?
- What happens when transaction logs and databases grow or shrinks?
This fast paced session will take you through many aspects of the internal operations of SQL Server and, for those topics we don’t cover, will point you to resources where you can get more information.
Convince Me - Persuasion Techniques that Get Things Done for IT Pros
Ever wanted to convince the boss try something new, but didn't know where to start? Ever tried to lead your peers only to fail to achieve your goals? This session teaches you the eight techniques of influencing IT professionals, so that you can innovate and achieve change in your organization.
1. Learn about the fundamental difference between influence and authority and how you can achieve a high degree of influence without explicit authority.
2. Learn the eight techniques of influencing IT professionals, when to apply them, and how to best use them.
3. Discover the communication and procedural techniques that ensure your ideas get a hearing by bosses and peers, and how to best win support for them.
Ten Query Tuning Techniques Every SQL Developer Should Know
SELECT statements have a reputation for being very easy to write, but hard to write very well. This session will take you through ten of the most problematic patterns and anti-patterns when writing queries and how to deal with them all. Loaded with live demonstrations and useful techniques, this session will teach you how to take your Microsoft SQL Server queries mundane to masterful.
Top 10 DBA Mistakes on Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server is easier to administrate than any other mainstream relational database on the market. But “easier than everyone else” doesn’t mean it’s easy. And it doesn’t mean that database administration on SQL Server is problem free. Since SQL Server frequently grows up from small, home-grown applications, many IT professionals end up encountering issues that others have tackled and solved years ago. Why not learn from those who first blazed the trails of database administration, so that we don’t make the same mistakes over and over again. In fact, wouldn’t you like to learn about those mistakes before they ever happen?
There is a short list of mistakes that, if you know of them in advance, will make your life much easier. These mistakes are the “low hanging fruit” of application design, development, and administration. Once you apply the lessons learned from this session, you’ll find yourself performing at a higher level of efficiency and effectiveness than before.