Kevin Kline

SQLMag = SQL Server Pro. Goes all-digital!

I was recently chatting with Megan Keller, my long-time editor for the Tool Time column and Executive Editor at SQL Server Pro,DevProConnectionsand SharePoint Pro.

I've subscribed to SQLMag ever since it was first put to print back in the late 1990's.  (That's a pic of me, on the right, in the shirt given my by SQLMag's first publisher way back in the day).  I have many bookshelves in my office, but SQLMag consumes more than half of the shelf closest to my desk.  It's that good.  Some of my personal favorites and perpetual must-read content are the columns SQL Server Questions Answered by Paul Randal & Kimberly Tripp as well as the always excellent columns Puzzled by T-SQL by Itzik Ben-Gan and all of the great content by Kalen Delaney.

Megan recently told me about the exciting changes afoot there.  For starts, SQL Server Magazine’s has new name—SQL Server Pro.  This name, as you can tell from its sister publications listed at the top of the blog post, puts all of the Penton Media properties on an equal and consistent footing.

Please take some time to check out hands-on, how-to content from SQL Server experts at sqlmag.com. The on-line magazine features the same great expert advice and writers as before.  And you can access my articles on sqlmag.com just as you have in the past.

Suggestions for the Tool Time Column?

And while we're at it, let me know if there are any SQL Server related tools you'd like to see in the Tool Time column!  My requirements are that the tool must be free, must be supported, and of course must be relevant to SQL Server professionals.

Enjoy,

-Kev

Published Friday, April 27, 2012 9:30 AM by KKline

Comments

Armando Prato said:

Love the magazine... hate that it's going digital.  I don't like electronic books and magazines; I like to hold a physical item.  And I refuse to get a Kindle or Nook :)

April 27, 2012 10:58 AM

tony said:

If they're going all digital, do you know if there will be a kindle version?

April 27, 2012 11:07 AM

Mallorca Vermietung Haus said:

nice tool the If they're going all digital like to hold a physical item.

April 28, 2012 7:30 AM

KKline said:

Like you, I enjoy holding the physical object.

But I do have an iPad so I don't mind reading it in my eReader.  However, I'm not sure what format it comes in.  Good question - I'll check.

Thanks!

-Kev

April 28, 2012 2:48 PM

simon said:

There's a SQL Server Pro app just been released. It's on iOS App Store, imagine there'll be an Android version too. I downloaded but couldn't log in. The Publisher advised it should start working for the May edition when I emailed them.

April 30, 2012 4:04 AM

saurabh said:

hey...its good..want to check more details about sql server. come to www.msbiexperts.com

April 30, 2012 5:02 PM

KKline said:

Simon, great tip!  Thanks for sharing.  ^_^

Saurabh, I checked out the URL you mentioned.  But the content didn't seem to add anything above and beyond what is already available in books on-line.  In addition, none of the content seemed to be particularly related to BI topics.

May 2, 2012 6:58 AM