Enjoy Another Sandwich -- Kent Tegels

Yummy slices of SQL Server between slices of .NET and XML

A quick update

Today is a bittersweet day. Yesterday was my last day as an employee of DevelopMentor. I truly appreciated the opportunities I had there. My future with them is still not completely written. There are number of classes coming up that I could be teaching for them ( see http://www.develop.com/schedule/microsoft-data for a list ). Moreover, there are many good folks still working hard for them. I wish all of them the best success.

As for me, right now my top priority is getting healthy again and to keep on chipping away at my Doctorate. I have accepted an Adjunct professorship with Colorado Technical University here in Sioux Falls where I will be teaching classes in business and computer science. In July, I should be going to the Institute for Advanced Learning ( http://www.instituteforadvancedstudies.com/ ) in Colorado Springs to start the long road towards dissertation. It is odd to being that again, but I am feeling much better about getting that done.

There are some other opportunities too. I have been approached by other companies to help with consulting and training opportunities. So, despite the bleakness of the current economy, I am feeling pretty good. Of course, it helps when you have a strong support network backing and I am certainly blessed to have that going full on for me now.

In a few days, I am hoping to introduce a new personal web site with blog and wiki features. The focus of the site will be in the technologies and practices I am most interested in: business intelligence, data mining, F#, XML, .NET, leadership and, of course... things gourmand! I will still be posting here from time to time as well when something relevant comes up.

Looking out my window, I see clear skies and smell a warm breeze. A purring gray cat is asleep on my lap. As Suzuki-Roshi taught, "Just to be alive is enough."

Published Friday, May 01, 2009 12:28 PM by ktegels
Filed under:

Comments

Tony Sneed said:

You are an awesome dude, and it's been a priviledge working with you Kent.  I have a feeling you'll be teaching a class next to mine in the future, so I'll be sure not to let my guard down. ;-)

Tony

May 1, 2009 12:41 PM

Joe Hummel, PhD said:

Hey Kent, good luck!  As someone who has traveled down that road, it took me nearly 8 years to finish.  I'm glad I did, but it's a long, hard and often lonely road.  And when I started (the first time :-), I got one piece of advice that I rejected, but in hindsight was spot on: you cannot earn a PhD part-time, it's an all-or-nothing endeavor.  Fewer than 10% finish even going full-time, so be prepared to ditch all other things.

That said, in particular it's the first 2+ years that are the most critical: you need to get the exams out of the way, and then find your thesis topic.  Once you have a topic (which could take 3-4 years), you're in good shape, but the topic is key.

For me, after the first 3 years (in which I was 100% focused on grad school and only grad school), I started working part-time with DevelopMentor and that was a great experience (as you know!).  But it also slowed me down, and was one of the two reasons I took 8 years instead of say 4-6.  (The other was sailing :-)  I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's a datapoint to be wary of.

Good luck!

- joe

May 1, 2009 3:52 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Have fun on your new journey, Kent!

May 1, 2009 4:15 PM

kent tegels said:

Tony, Adam: Thanks

Joe: I'm actually working on a DCS instead of a PhD. While, I'd prefer Ph.D., I don't want spend six years doing it. This should get me done in leas than four years, five including the masters.

May 1, 2009 4:29 PM

Greg Linwood said:

Hey Kent - I'm sorry to hear you're not 100% right now & I hope you're back in tip top shape asap. Here's to eating many more sandwiches on your new path..

Cheers,

Greg Linwood

May 1, 2009 7:18 PM

Mary Boucher said:

Hi Kent, I hope you'll be back to teach in Boston some time.  We'll miss you if you don't.  Also, there are still 4 cans of Slim-Fast in the office fridge that you need to drink.  Keep in touch.  Mary

May 2, 2009 12:20 PM

Coveted Dragon said:

Peace with every step dear.

May 3, 2009 9:32 PM

kent tegels said:

Greg, Thank you.

Mary, me too.

CD, yes, but my path is very rocky right now.

May 3, 2009 10:05 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

When you come through the Springs, look me up.

May 4, 2009 12:56 PM
New Comments to this post are disabled

About ktegels

Kent Tegels passed away on July 31, 2010. Kent was an Adjunct Professor at Colorado Technical University and a member of the technical staff at PluralSight. He was recognized by Microsoft with Most Valuable Professional (MVP) status in SQL Server for his community involvement with SQL Server and .NET. Kent held Microsoft Certifications in Database Administration and Systems Engineering, and contributed to several books on data access programming and .NET. He was a well known industry speaker, and resided in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.