Kalen Delaney

Geek City: SQL Server 2014 In-Memory OLTP (“Hekaton”) Whitepaper for CTP2

Last week at the PASS Summit in Charlotte, NC, the update of my whitepaper for CTP2 was released.

The manager supervising the paper at Microsoft told me that David DeWitt himself said some very nice things about the technical quality of the paper, which was one of the most ego enhancing compliments I have ever gotten! Unfortunately, Dr. DeWitt said those things at his “After-the-keynote” session, not in the keynote that was recorded, so I only have my manager’s word for it. But I’ll take what I can get.

If you’d like to read the update, which has information about the new “range” indexes, natively compiled procedures, checkpoint files, recovery and garbage collection in addition to all the content from the CTP1 paper, you can get it here:

SQL_Server_2014_In-Memory_OLTP_TDM_White_Paper.pdf

There will be more enhancements made for RTM, including some graphics for the index maintenance operations on range indexes, plus best practice suggestions.  These enhancements may be in the form of a third paper, but they might be in book form. I’ll let you know!

Thanks

~Kalen

Published Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:05 PM by Kalen Delaney

Comments

Jungsun Kim said:

Thanks, Kalen.

October 22, 2013 12:52 AM

Greg O'Connell said:

Great white paper. Would be even greater if the recurring phrase "different than", was replaced by "different from".

October 28, 2013 5:42 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback.

I'm sorry you don't like "different than", but it is just personal preference, you know.

Thanks again

~Kalen

October 28, 2013 7:01 AM

Mladen Andrijasevic said:

Questions on Hekaton and RCSI

Page 22

Isolation level READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT is supported for memory-optimized tables with autocommit transactions and only if the query does not access any disk-based tables.

Page 30

Table 1 Compatible isolation levels in cross-container transactions   -- there is no mention of RCSI

So, it seems Interop cannot use RCSI. Is that correct?

We have the RCSI bit in our database. What do we for Interop queries?   Do they have to be changed to READ COMMITTED or   REPEATABLE READ  / SERIALIZABLE

How do we use  READ COMMITTED if the RCSI bit is on?

Thanks

October 28, 2013 8:37 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Mladen

There is an email address at the end of the whitepaper to send questions to. If you send your questions there, I can track them much more easily than I can track comments on my blog. I can also mark them for followup, etc and make sure I eventually get back to you on this.

Thanks

Kalen

October 28, 2013 2:11 PM

Mladen Andrijasevic said:

Hi Kalen,

I sent my question to

hkwb@sqlserverinternals.com

under the subject

White paper Feedback:Hekaton Internals

approximately at the same time I posted my question on your blog, but so far did not get any confirmation that the email has been received. Could you please confirm that the email reached its destination.

Thanks

Mladen

October 29, 2013 4:35 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Thanks Mladen. I don't always check that alias when I'm travelling, but I'll try to verify the mail today.

~Kalen

October 29, 2013 7:33 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Mladen

The alias stands for HeKaton WhitePaper, but whoever edited the paper entered it wrong. It should be hkwp instead of hkwb.  But, since this wrong address is now part of the paper, I have set up a forwarder that mail sent to hkwb now will be redirected to hkwp.

If possible, could you please resend.

Thanks!

Kalen

October 29, 2013 2:06 PM

Mladen Andrijasevic said:

Resent.

October 30, 2013 11:18 AM

Range Index–O Problema do ORDER BY | Luan.Moreno a.k.a [SQL.Soul] said:

May 30, 2014 11:22 AM

Louis Davidson said:

This part is part of an ongoing series of blogs I am writing while preparing to give a presentation based

July 6, 2014 4:15 PM