Kalen Delaney

Did You Know? My book is at the printers!

I know it's been a while since my last post, and there is a specific reason for that, which I am going to tell you about. On February 5th, I emailed to my editor the LAST chapter of my new book, after the author reviews and all comments from the editors were answered. I was technically done, except for a bit of work on the Intro, etc. Less than an hour after I sent off that last chapter, I got a call from the Washington State Highway Patrol that my husband had been found at the side of the road; he was semi-conscious after having a major stroke. I have spent most of the last two weeks by his side at Harborview Hospital in Seattle. Although there is WiFi in the rooms and I was able to check email and keep family and close friends informed, there was little inclination or energy for blogging.

Today, after all the final polishing by Microsoft Press, the pages were sent to the printer. The expected 'in print' date is March 11. It will be a week or so after that until the bookstores get it. I don't know how soon Amazon will be able to start shipping the pre-orders.

I'm not going to post my husband's whole story here, but suffice it to say my life will be changing. I will need to cut back on traveling, but I do need to continue working. I may not be offering nearly as many public classes, so if you've ever wanted to take a class from me, I suggest you think about doing it sooner rather than later, because there might not be a later.  I will start delivering the 2008 version of my SQL Server Internals course next month. (Probably 90-95% of the course is still relevant to SQL Server 2005.)

Take care .... and in the words of one of my favorite singers/songwriters, James Taylor,

Shower the people you love with love....

~Kalen

Published Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:43 PM by Kalen Delaney

Comments

K. Brian Kelley said:

My prayers go out to you and your family.

February 18, 2009 4:10 PM

Michael Dragone said:

Prayers and thoughts with you and your husband, Kalen. I hope he recovers fully and soon.

Congratulations on the book (which I've had preordered for awhile now).

February 18, 2009 4:39 PM

Jack Corbett said:

My prayers go out to you and your family as well.  Your focus definitely belongs on your husband now.

February 18, 2009 4:47 PM

Jeff Rush said:

Your family will be in my prayers.

February 18, 2009 5:08 PM

Morris Lewis said:

Kalen, may God keep you and your family in the hollow of His hand. My thoughts go with you. Lisa sends her love too.

February 18, 2009 7:59 PM

Tim Ford said:

Kalen, family trumps everything else.  Take care of your husband and yourself.  We pray for his thorough recovery and will cross our fingers that he'll be well enough for you to make an appearance at PASS in November.  Congratulations on finally finishing the book.

February 18, 2009 8:02 PM

aspiringgeek said:

Over the course of last year I became more & more aware of the importance of living life to its fullest.  Yet as I sit here at a desk in a room far from home with work-related priorities pressing upon me, I’m wondering whether to take the time to do any sightseeing.

Thanks to you, the decision is made:  I’m going liberate myself from these walls & take advantage of this opportunity.

Your post brings to mind a post I made last December on celebrating life, that this is the Year of the Tango:  http://tinyurl.com/8q4j34 (Yes, painful as it must be for my lovely bride & our instructor, our lessons have begun.)

I hope everything works out as well as possible.  God bless you both.  You’ll be in our prayers.

And congrats on the book.  Kalen, I wouldn't be where I am today were it not for your body of great work.  Thank you.

February 19, 2009 12:43 AM

Uri Dimant said:

Dear Kalen

Prayers and thoughts with you and your husband.I feel your pain as we undergo the same.

February 19, 2009 4:25 AM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Hi Kalen,

This is terrible news. I feel so bad for you and your family.

My thoughts are with you ... and I really hope that you will find a good way to balance the requirements in this new situation. I wish you all the strength and all the luck you need in this difficult situation.

Thanks for sharing, and reminding us all how fragile the lives of ourselves and our beloved can be - and how a great achievement on the professional stage can shrink into total unimportance when faced with bad luck on the personal stage.

February 19, 2009 5:04 AM

Anna Ellis said:

My prayers and those of my family for you and your husband. May recover fully.

It's often the case that love creates miracles; may that love be present with you both at this time.

February 19, 2009 7:21 AM

Meher said:

Hi Kalen,

Sorry to hear this. My thoughts and Prayers with you. I wish your husband a speedy recovery.

Regards

Meher

February 19, 2009 9:10 AM

Xidan said:

So sorry to hear the news about your husband. You and your family are in my caring thoughts.

Congratulations on the book!

February 19, 2009 10:35 AM

jerryhung said:

Shows how fragile we are

My prayers and thoughts for your family

Hope for a complete recovery for your husband.

February 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Chris Wood said:

Family always comes first. I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that he can make a full recovery.

I'm glad I got to see one of your presentations at PASS2008.

My prayers are with you.

Chris

February 19, 2009 11:52 AM

Alejandro Mesa said:

Hi Kalen,

I am truly sorry to hear the news about your husband. I hope he gets better soon.

Your books have a special place in my shelf.

Wish you well,

AMB

February 19, 2009 7:21 PM

Mohamed Yoosuf Sait said:

February 19, 2009 8:54 PM

Jim Bergh said:

Kelen,

Thanks for sharing with us your personal life and like so many others I wish your husband a full recovery.

February 19, 2009 10:13 PM

M A Srinivas said:

Prayers for speedy recovery .  Let god bless you and your family

Best Wishes

February 20, 2009 2:33 AM

John Jensen said:

I hope for the best for you and your family.

February 20, 2009 6:10 AM

Andy Galbraith said:

We all pray for you and your family; congratulations on having your family as a priority over your work - I always knew you had your head on straight!  {-:

February 20, 2009 10:18 AM

Viking said:

My prayers for you and your family, Kalen. Hope your husband recovers soon.

February 21, 2009 5:02 PM

CyclingFoodmanPA said:

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery!  Life is so fragile, enjoy it to the fullest.

February 23, 2009 1:39 PM

Jason Love said:

My prayers go out to you and your family.

P.S. I can't wait to read the book, I already ordered it at Amazon.

February 26, 2009 4:38 PM

Cameron said:

My thought and prayers go out to you and your family.

I have your new book on order from Amazon.  Waiting for them to get it in to ship.

March 18, 2009 4:10 PM

Ward Pond said:

I don't know how I missed this when you posted it..

Godspeed to you and your husband, Kalen.  Your family is in our prayers.

March 19, 2009 9:50 AM

Jungsun Kim said:

Hello Kalen,

I'm sorry to hear this...

My prayers go out to you and your family

and I hope he gets better soon.

I just ordered your new book.

Thank for writing greate books.

Jungsun Kim

SQL Server MVP

March 24, 2009 9:42 AM

RBArryYoung said:

FYI: I got my pre-order yesterday...

March 25, 2009 9:06 AM