Kalen Delaney

Did You Know? The Most Amazing Tool!

I know, I said that about the SQL Internals Viewer, and that of course was amazing, but very limited in scope.

I just found Zoomit at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897434.aspx#

This is the tool I have been hoping to find for years and years of teaching classes and presenting conference sessions. And it was written by Mark Russinovich, of SysInternals fame... so you know you can trust it.

It's small, it's easy, it does just what I want as a presenter, but not a whole lot more.

A quick hotkey, and I can magnify an area of my screen... I can zoom in and out with my mouse wheel. This is great to show menus in Management Studio.

Another hotkey and I can draw on the screen, change the width of the line and the color.

One more hotkey, and I can WRITE TEXT on the screen! This is so way cool...I'm supposed to be prepping for a presentation tomorrow, it is almost midnight, and all I want to do is draw all over my screen with Zoomit.

Oh, and there is also a timer function for letting students know when to come back from breaks!

THANK YOU MARK!!!

Have fun...

~Kalen

Published Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:00 AM by Kalen Delaney

Comments

Netic said:

Keep up the good work Kalen...

Best Regards.

April 1, 2008 5:54 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Oh, wow - this totally rocks! I'm using it too. I've got a Tablet PC that I use during training and presentations as well - this will really, really help.

Thanks for pointing it out Kalen.

April 1, 2008 12:47 PM

Raymond Peeples said:

Excelent, seen this at the Boston Lauch Event! Looked all over for it! Thank You!

April 1, 2008 7:12 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

The old Milori Training Tools - PC Chalkboard did the same thing, but they stopped selling it a few years ago, so this is a very good thing.

April 1, 2008 10:29 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

When I first read this blog it reminded me of one of my favorite old TV shows...

- Electric Company -

"We're gonna zoom zoom zoom a zoom."

April 1, 2008 10:34 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

I gave my first SQL Server 2008 presentation yesterday, and also spoke at a Launch Event for the first

April 2, 2008 8:14 PM

MikeS said:

This is such a cool tool.  Mark Russinovich is amazing.  Not only is this a nice presentation tool but it's wonderful on my laptop with high-resolution LCD -- a quick hit of the hot-key and I can zoom in and annotate the display for someone in my cube or a small group of people (and my peer group may not have their reading glasses with them for non-zoomed LCD reading).

April 4, 2008 10:59 PM

Jeff Gonzalez said:

Great!  Used it already in a VS 2008 class.  Thanks, Kalen.  I also use Key Jedi (http://weblogs.asp.net/rosherove/archive/2007/05/29/key-jedi-1-03-renamed-from-shortwatcher.aspx) In more beginner type classes.

April 7, 2008 11:14 AM