Kalen Delaney

Winners Announced

All the book winners have been sent email. If your name is on this list, but you haven't received an email from me, please check your junk mail folder, and also confirm that the email address you sent me with your entry was correct.

The first prize winner, of all four Inside SQL Server 2005 books, is:

Borys Bychkov

The second prize winners, who will receive two books (The Storage Engine and Query Tuning and Optimization), are:

Raj Kai

Gary Marttila

The third prize winners, who will all receive a copy of my latest book (Inside SQL Server 2005: Query Tuning and Optimization) are:

Loren Zubis
Natalya Chaldyshev
Jay Willis
Bikramjit Goraya
Matt Farrell
Frank Veprek
Brent Conner

Note that there are a couple of other winners who will be receiving SQL Server branded swag, but I haven't yet determine exactly what I will be giving away. I'll post again with the last two names in a couple of days, after I have notified those winners.

I also usually give away at least one book every time I speak at a users group meeting or conference, or when I offer a seminar, so please be sure and check my schedule to see when I might be somewhere near you.

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to everyone who participated.

~Kalen

Published Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:28 PM by Kalen Delaney
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Raj said:

I won! Thanks Kalen!!

October 28, 2007 4:59 PM

Scott R. said:

Congrats again on your anniversary!

How many responses did you get?

October 29, 2007 12:10 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Scott.

The final count was just under 400 entries.

My biggest thrill was to see how many different places the entries came from. Although the majority were from the USA, it wasn't a vast majority. There were lots from other parts of the world, and I was amazed how many were from Russia and eastern Europe.

~Kalen

October 29, 2007 12:56 AM

Jeff Kelly said:

congrats to the winners!  If any of you havn't had the pleasure of Kalen's books, you're in for a treat!

And Kalen, you mean 400 unique responses right?!

It turns out my feeable attempt at rigging the lotto with a 'go 25000' statement at the end of my entry didn't go over as well as planned :)

October 29, 2007 12:05 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Thanks, Jeff.

Maybe if you hadn't been quite so greedy, your multiple entries would have slipped by the radar. If you had GO 25 for example... but with only 400 entries, a sudden influx of 25000 was hard to miss.  You also would have needed multiple email addresses to make this work. I actually just ran the insert statement, and did not include any GOs that were sent along with them. So you ended up with one entry, with as much chance of winning as anybody else.

Primary key was on email address. I did notice after the winner selection that there was one person who had entered twice using two different addresses, but since neither address won, I'm not going to worry about it.  Of course, there may have been other people who used completely different names and email addresses who entered multiple times without detection, but there's not much I can do about that.

October 29, 2007 1:08 PM

Ron K. said:

Kalen,

How random was the selection? Did you use the clock drift of crystal oscillators? :-)

Ron

October 29, 2007 3:59 PM

Bronwen Zande said:

Kimberley Tripp suggested your blog. I've been working on GeekGirlBlogs www.geekgirlblogs.com with an aim of having a central repository of ladies in IT who blog in one place.

Would it be ok if I added your blog to our list?

Regards, Bronwen

October 29, 2007 8:05 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Yes, of course, Bronwen.

Can you send me an email?

Thanks

Kalen

October 29, 2007 10:33 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Bronwen,

Don't forget our other geek female bloggers, Lara Rubbelke and Sarah Henwood!

... Though neither, perhaps, are quite on the geek level of Kalen :-)

October 29, 2007 11:26 PM