Kalen Delaney

Did You Know? It's Almost My 20th Anniversary!

Maybe this post should have been a Geek City post, because 20 years is the length of time I've been working with SQL Server! Some people might think it's very geeky to spend 20 years working with the same software product.

I started working with the Sybase Corporation on October 27th, 1987. They gave a certificate to everyone after their first year, and I had that certificate on my wall for years and years, proudly proclaiming "I survived a year at Sybase!" with the dates clearly indicated. I actually survived over 5 years at Sybase before moving to the Beautiful Pacific Northwest and starting to work independently.

In the Beautiful Pacific Northwest, some of the native peoples have a tradition of "potlatch" when celebrating special occasions. Although there are many aspects of true potlatch, both spiritual and practical, one of the features is that the host of the celebration gives gifts instead of receiving them. With the release of my latest book occurring close to this momentous anniversary, I decided to follow that tradition and give gifts to thank my readers for all their support and encouragement over the last many years that I have been writing about SQL Server.

Fabulous Prizes:

First Prize:
      A set of all four Inside SQL Server 2005 books
                     The Storage Engine
                     Query Tuning and Optimization
                     T-SQL Querying
                     T-SQL Programming

Second Prizes: (2 sets will be given away)
                   Two of the Inside SQL Server 2005 books:
                        The Storage Engine
                        Query Tuning and Optimization

Third Prizes: (7 will be given away):
            This one is hot off the presses (Microsoft Press, that is)
                   Inside SQL Server 2005: Query Tuning and Optimization

Additional Prizes:
            Various SQL Server branded items that I have in my possession

First prize will be shipped anywhere in the world.
Other prizes will be shipped to US, UK or Canada addresses only.

To enter the giveaway, please follow these rules:

1. Create an email message to this newly created email address

2. Include "Happy Anniversary" in the subject line. The mail will be filed as junk if you don't.

3. The body of the email should consist of a single T-SQL INSERT statement (shown below). A value for country is required. If you include a city or region, I will add you to my mailing list so that when I speak at user groups in various parts of the world, I can let you know if I will be in your area. Examples of city or region would be "Beautiful Pacific Northwest", "San Francisco Bay Area", "Western Australia", "Central Europe" or "London".  If you do not want to include city or region, please explicitly include NULL in the INSERT.

4. Doublecheck the syntax! Make sure you have open and close quotes for all strings, and that the quotes are STRAIGHT quotes, as in the INSERT statement below. If you use Word to add a quote of your own or replace one that's there, it's usually a "smart" quote, which in this case is NOT smart. SQL Server will reject the INSERT if the quotes are not STRAIGHT. I suggest you use SSMS to write the insert.

5. Send the email.

6. Wait until October 27th to find out the winners. I will send the winners email, asking for a mailing address.

Here is the INSERT statement. Replace the strings in red with your specific information, and include it in your email:

INSERT INTO Anniversary.Raffle(emailAddress, firstName, lastName, country, city_region)
               VALUES('Your email address', 'First Name', 'Last Name', 'Country', 'City or Region' )

Thank you!

~Kalen

Published Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:47 PM by Kalen Delaney
Filed under: , , ,

Comments

Denis Gobo said:

Congratulations that is just unbelievable 20 years?

20 years ago I was messing around with a Commodore 128 (64 built in)

Be careful, if you have an identity on that table you better make it a bigint to hold all that data <g>

Denis

October 4, 2007 4:06 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Thanks, Denis. Yes, I'm wondering if I opened a can of worms... the first entry arrived while I was still doing post-edits, like adding the tags, etc.

I made the identity a numeric(38,0)

:-)

October 4, 2007 4:33 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Congratulations, Kalen! My email is on its way as well.

Should I win any of the prizes, then you can save yourself the shipping costs. I'll gladly pick them up next time we're both in Seattle.

Love, hugs, and all the best wishes for the next 20 years of ge^H^H SQL Server!

October 4, 2007 5:15 PM

dbaduck said:

Congrats Kalen.  You are a good friend and that is a prize in itself.  Thanks for a great PASS and the time with you and Lara, it was great.

See you around and I am working on getting you here in SLC.

October 4, 2007 11:23 PM

Chuck Urwiler said:

Kalen,

Congratulations!

Please, if you're ever in the Philadelphia area, contact me as I'm co-leader of the SQL Server user group. We'd love to have you!

October 5, 2007 7:55 AM

Gail said:

Congrats on 20 years and here's to another 20 years of fun and success.

Thanks for a couple of great sessions at PASS.

October 10, 2007 1:25 AM

Tracy Bradley said:

Congrats on 20 years.  I just got a hard copy of your Inside SQL Server 2005 The Storage Engine.  It's great!

Couldn't get to your site www.insidesqlserver.com referenced in the book.  Found this blog through Google.

Keep up the great work!

October 10, 2007 12:51 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Tracy,

http://www.insidesqlserver.com/ works for me

Denis

October 10, 2007 1:48 PM

Cindy Gross said:

Happy Anniversary Kalen! How is it you've continued to look so young with all that hair-pulling performance work? :-)

October 10, 2007 2:47 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

My 20 year anniversary is only 3 days away, and that is the day I will randomly select from all the entries

October 24, 2007 2:23 PM

Jeff Kelly said:

Hi Kalen!

Just wanted to thank you for the great books!  I have the storage engine book and while some of it is over my head, it's taught me sooo many things that make me a much more comfortable dba in my job!

I also want to thank you for your latest post: Geek City: Poor (Wo)Man's Load Testing

If you look at the raffle table you'll see why :)  (even though I may of just shot myself in the foot! hehehe)

Congrats on the great work over the past 20 years!!  I, as do uncountable others, greatly appreciate it!

October 25, 2007 2:20 PM

Michael said:

So, how many people have tried putting injections into the table?

October 25, 2007 2:52 PM

Jungsun Kim said:

Oh, I missed the raffle I think! ^^;

But,

Congratulations!

Enjoy your 20th anniversary!

October 29, 2007 9:47 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

As I mentioned in my anniversary raffle post , I wouldn't be where I am, able to do what I love doing,

February 14, 2008 12:15 PM