Kalen Delaney

Inside SQL Server... the next book

The last volume of Inside SQL Server 2005 (Query Tuning and Optimization) is now in the hands of MS Press. This is the first time I have worked on a Inside book as a group project, and for some strange reason I thought that meant that I could get the book done more quickly. We were desperately trying to get it done in time to be available by the PASS conference, but as the conference is in September this year, instead of the usual November, it looks like we won't make it.

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to my co-authors:

Sunil Agarwal (Chapter 1: A Performance Troubleshooting Methodology)

Adam Machanic (Chapter 2: Tracing and Profiling)

Craig Freedman (Chapter 3: Query Execution and Chapter 4: Troubleshooting Query Performance)

Ron Talmage (Chapter 6: Concurrency Problems)

(I co-wrote Chapter 4, and wrote Chapter 5: Plan Caching and Recompilation)

And of course, I also wish to thank all of my readers, without whom there would be no reason to write!

~Kalen

Published Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:28 PM by Kalen Delaney
Filed under: ,

Comments

Vinod Kumar M said:

Wonderful Kalen. Waiting to see the final print version :) ...

Vinod Kumar

August 14, 2007 11:11 PM

Reagan Williams said:

I'm just finishing The Storage Engine and cannot get enough of it.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Keep up the great work.

August 15, 2007 10:58 AM

Anonymous said:

I'm looking forward to getting this one!

thank you !

August 17, 2007 3:29 AM

TiborKaraszi said:

Congratulations, Kalen. And to the rest of the authors.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it! :-)

August 19, 2007 7:52 AM

Prasad said:

Congratulations, Kalen.

I am big fan of "Inside SQL Server" series.

I would like to know how is the book different from

August 20, 2007 1:50 PM

superhasty said:

I am also looking forward to read the book!

Thanks!

August 24, 2007 3:13 AM

Dinakar said:

I got this book last week and havent found the time to touch it until yesterday. I thought I will take a quick look at the contents and start reading later..and before I realized I was into page 35 and I couldnt stop. I finally ended up completing chapter 1. Wonderful job Kalen.

Now I am trying to execute some of the DMVs you provided and I noticed you are not using the ANSI standard JOIN syntax and instead using

FROM t1, t2, t3

WHERE t1.something = t2.something AND t2.someotherthing =t3.someotherthing

format. Any specific reason?

November 9, 2007 1:02 PM