Kalen Delaney

Geek City: My New Favorite Tool - SQL Internals Viewer

At least, I think it might become my new favorite tool.  J

One of my readers created a tool to graphically display database storage internals, like allocation information, actual page contents, etc. This is just the tool I would have wanted to write if I ever got back to doing any programming. Here's what the author, Danny Gould, says:

The application acts as a viewer for database internals, including pages and allocation structures. I’ve created it with the aim of it helping people learn and investigate internals. There is more information about it at its website, www.sqlinternalsviewer.com I’ve really enjoyed creating the application and I continue to learn from developing it. I plan to create some online tutorials on how to use it.

Danny would love to get feedback on the tool, as well as suggestions for enhancements. As a sneak preview, here's an image of the tool from the main page of the web site:

Allocation Map showing IAM selected in the Database Browser
Allocation Map showing IAM selected in the Database Browser

Have fun!

~Kalen

Published Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:52 PM by Kalen Delaney

Comments

Chuck said:

wow.

July 19, 2007 11:47 PM

Brennang said:

Fantastic! Not sure what I will use it for but very cool. I expect, as a teacher, you would find it extremely useful.

July 20, 2007 5:21 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Cool!  Looks similar to the SQL File Explorer app that used to be available (alas, the domain is now dead so I guess that app gone)...

July 20, 2007 9:03 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Danny Gould was very impressed by the interest in his SQL Internals tool from readers of my blog , so

July 30, 2007 11:13 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

I know, I said that about the SQL Internals Viewer , and that of course was amazing, but very limited

April 1, 2008 3:00 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

April 2, 2008 7:58 PM

Mathieu Isabel said:

This is a very interesting tool! I love the feature where you can execute a SQL statement and see the impact on the indices by viewing the transaction log. This should definitely be part of SSMS! I know that SSMS uses the VS shell, is there any way to extend SSMS functionnality in the same way it's done in VS?

April 21, 2008 11:18 AM

Rafeeque said:

Can we use production systems ?

March 1, 2010 2:51 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Rafeeque

Yes, but it could be slower, both due to concurrent use of the system, and because your databases might be much bigger. If you do have a test system, you should try that first.

~Kalen