Jorg Klein

Microsoft Data Platform MVP from the Netherlands

The next version of SSIS is coming!

You can read this blog post at this link: https://jorgklein.com/2010/05/07/the-next-version-of-ssis-is-coming

This blog has moved to www.jorgklein.com There will be no further posts on sqlblog.com. Please update your feeds accordingly.

You can follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/jorg__klein

Published Monday, October 25, 2010 5:04 PM by jorg

Comments

Seth Lynch said:

I would have liked to have seen some non-ado.net drivers for ODBC.

Cut and Paste not messing up the package layout - that would be nice.

Seth

October 25, 2010 10:42 AM

Gene said:

I *HOPE* the SSIS Team will look into utilizing the version of Visual Studio you may already have installed.  I hate having multiple copies of Visual Studio installed, it is also a waste of my computers resouces.

One finial rant SQL Server 2008 R2 SSIS **SHOULD** have utilized Visual Studio 2010 not 2008!

October 25, 2010 1:13 PM

Abhishek said:

In both the 2008 and R2 releases, SSIS had nothing much. I I don't see anything of significance here as well

All the 4 points you mention look like cosmetic changes to me

- Undo/Redo support. Finally, this should have been added a long time ago ;-)

- Improved copy/paste mechanism. Let’s hope we keep the formatting of components after copy/pasting them!

- New icons and rounded corners for tasks and transformations

- Data flow sequence container

If you compare SSIS to any other ETL tool starting from Informatica to Pentaho Kettle you will find that it lacks so many features.

October 26, 2010 2:28 AM

jorg said:

Abhishek,

You are right, the changes mentioned here are not really significant. But the fact MS is working on SSIS gives me the hope that exiting additions will be included in the next version!

October 26, 2010 4:08 AM

Peter said:

November 9, 2010 9:42 AM

Jorg Klein said:

SQL Server Denali (SQL Server 2011) CTP1 has been released! Download it here SQL 2011 is expected to

November 9, 2010 10:12 AM