Jorg Klein

Microsoft Data Platform MVP from the Netherlands

SSIS – Delete all files except for the most recent one

You can read this blog post at this link: https://jorgklein.com/2010/03/07/ssis-delete-all-files-except-for-the-most-recent-one

This blog has moved to www.jorgklein.com There will be no further posts on sqlblog.com. Please update your feeds accordingly.

You can follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/jorg__klein

Published Friday, May 28, 2010 2:53 PM by jorg

Comments

Todd McDermid said:

Great post, Jorg - I can't tell you how often this question is asked on the forums.  Now I'll just have to remember where to find this post so I can refer people to it!

Can you edit that sample above to use FileInfo to get the actual modification date for your comparison?  Even though most people inquire about doing it exactly the way you have (the date is encoded in the file name) - they also tend to ask the same question when it's not.

Thanks!

May 28, 2010 11:49 AM

Mike C said:

Todd - I created a similar package a while back -- FileInfo was very slow over the network for some reason.  I found the Directory class methods worked much faster than DirectoryInfo and FileInfo.  If you want to quickly modify Jorg's example, just modify it to use the FileInfo .CreationTime property (it's a System.DateTime property): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.filesysteminfo.creationtime(v=VS.100).aspx

May 29, 2010 10:17 PM

jorg said:

@Todd: Thanks, I assume this post can help quite some people and that why I wrote it :-) I have changed the code so you can choose between using a date in the filename or the creation date. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Mike C: I haven't experienced any problems with FileInfo over the network here so I haven't changed the code. Thanks for pointing me to FileInfo .CreationTime!

June 1, 2010 8:34 AM

Paul said:

I would suggest you use ModificationTime on the file, as creation time is when the file arrives on your filesystem, not when it was last written.

If you copy the file from a server to your machine, the Creation Time is when you copied the file, Not the CreationDate you actually expect.

Modificationtime remains consistent in both scenarios.

August 18, 2010 9:08 PM

e said:

d

February 14, 2011 11:10 AM

Dave Ruijter said:

Hi Jorg,

You might note that it is a Microsoft Visual Basic (2008) script and that the System.IO namespace is required, e.g. "Imports System.IO"

Great post!

October 18, 2011 3:34 PM

Mark said:

Very useful thanks.  Needed some code to find the latest csv file in a folder a log it's name, modification\created date etc.  This helped me on my way.  Excellent post.

February 17, 2014 10:27 AM

Gusmundo said:

Very good. Just what I needed. :-)

As per a previous post, the only thing missing was.

Imports System.IO

Also very easy to modify to delete all .JPG in directory. which is another common issue if retrieving attachments from emails,

Thanks again.

April 23, 2014 7:44 PM

Aravind said:

Very Usefull code.

September 19, 2014 12:27 PM

Pavan said:

Thank you.. It was very helpfull

October 20, 2014 8:06 AM

Aravind said:

Hi Jorg,

I used your code to keep the recent file and delete the rest of the files. I am getting a weird situation when i used your code where "Get creation date of current file", I have 4 files in the remote folder  where I downloaded these files and move it to local folder and then in local folder i want to delete all files except the recent one

1)2/9/2015

2)2/10/2015

3)2/11/2015

4)2/12/2015

when i ran the script task for the first time it is keeping the file with date 2/9/2015  and deleting the rest and when i ran for the second time it is keeping 2/12/2015 and deleting the rest. is there any bug  in the code? i tried so many times but not able to find out why it is behaving like that. can you help me out??

February 12, 2015 4:24 PM

Aravind said:

Sorry got it,

I was using CreationTime in the code .. instead of Creationtime i need to use LastWriteTime. Then it will work.

February 12, 2015 6:14 PM