Due to dependency requirements I had to split this tool into two separate tools one for SQL Server 2005, and one for SQL Server 2008 today, and I have reposted the newer builds on the codeplex site:
one build is specific for SQL Server 2005, and can be used if all you have installed on the machine that you are running the tool on is SQL Server 2005. If you have SQL Server 2008 installed on the machine that you are running the tool on, or if you have the SQL Server 2008 Management tools installed on the machine, you can use the SQL Server 2008 version of the tool. Keep in mind that the correct tool depends on what is installed on the computer that is running the tool, not the server that the tool is connecting to (there is a -S parameter that allows you to specify to connect to a different server).
Background of this change:
Within a few hours of being at the office today, I was contacted by TheJackal101 who had attempted to use the tool I published late last night on Codeplex. As a DBA by trade, and a Developer hack by night, I apparently still have a bit to learn about testing my code before actually releasing it into the wild like I did last night. For some background, on my Laptop, which is where I do most of my development work and initial testing, I have SQL Server 2005 Developer and Express, and SQL Server 2008 Developer and Express Editions, Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, and a bunch of other odds and ends installed.
When I wrote out the initial version of this tool, I was targeting a SQL Server 2005 Ent. Edition server and chose to use the SQL Server 2008 SMO classes since they are the most up to date, and I had them available to me. It was able to connect to my SQL Server 2005 server instance with no problems, and after some quick tests, I put it to use running against the production server that was having blocking problems, and let it collect data. The information gathered proved to be pretty useful, although it was a bit more copious than I had initially expected, and the app was not very configurable at this point as I had basically hard coded everything in really quick so that I could solve my problem.
After some rework, I had an app that I thought was ready for a community alpha test, however, there was a serious shortcoming in the coding of the application, it required that you have .NET 3.5, and SQL Server 2008 SMO installed for it to function. This was immediately clear when I got the tweets from TheJackal101 and I confirmed this by running the tool directly from one of my SQL Server 2005 Servers and I immediately got errors for missing reference assemblies. The solution is the split projects and dual builds at this point, but I have some bigger plans in store for the future of this tool, be on the lookout for future updates.