John Paul Cook

Fixing PowerPoint 2010 on Windows 7 running on a MacBook

If you try typing anything in PowerPoint 2010 running on Windows 7 installed in Boot Camp, PowerPoint may abort. The first time I installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro, PowerPoint 2010 worked just fine. But the second time was a disaster. PowerPoint aborted every time I tried to type anything. The fix is easy and is detailed in the screen captures shown below. You have to specify a keyboard layout to resolve this issue.

I do not know why the first installation was fine and the second was not, but I am willing to speculate. The first time the Office 2010 suite was installed using defaults. The second time a custom installation was done and all features were installed. I do not know if that difference caused the problem, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought you should know.

pp1

Figure 1. PowerPoint 2010 aborted on Windows 7 installed on a MacBook Pro.

pp2

Figure 2. Windows did not notify me of a solution.

pp3

Figure 3. Go to File and then select Options.

pp4

Figure 4. Select Language and then click the Not enabled hyperlink. The problem is caused by not having a keyboard layout specified.

pp5

Figure 5. Click the Add button.

pp6

Figure 6. Select an appropriate keyboard. Click OK.

pp7

Figure 7. Problem solved. Click OK.

Published Monday, September 12, 2011 8:13 PM by John Paul Cook

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

FWIW I find PowerPoint much more responsive, with much better appearance, running in the host than in the VM.

September 14, 2011 1:34 AM

John Paul Cook said:

Just so that people aren't confused, I'm not running in a virtual machine. Boot Camp allows dual booting and I'm choosing Windows 7 to boot with.

September 15, 2011 12:45 AM

Neylan said:

Why can't i embed fonts? I know how; it just doesn't work, even with "install" fonts--checked that as well. Can someone help?

November 3, 2011 1:24 PM

Gavin said:

This problem has been driving me nuts for months. Last I checked the web for a solution, I was informed that this was an Apple problem -- that we'd have to wait for Apple to release new BootCamp drivers to fix this bug with PowerPoint. Glad to learn that it's just a stupid default keyboard setting. Doh!

August 31, 2012 10:50 AM

Tom said:

The PPT fix was right on!  Thanks

March 6, 2013 12:34 AM

About John Paul Cook

John Paul Cook is a Technology Solutions Professional for Microsoft's data platform and works out of Microsoft's Houston office. Prior to joining Microsoft, he was a Microsoft SQL Server MVP. He is experienced in Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle database application design, development, and implementation. He has spoken at many conferences including Microsoft TechEd and the SQL PASS Summit. He has worked in oil and gas, financial, manufacturing, and healthcare industries. John is also a Registered Nurse who graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master of Science in Nursing Informatics and is an active member of the Sigma Theta Tau nursing honor society. He volunteers as a nurse at safety net clinics. Contributing author to SQL Server MVP Deep Dives and SQL Server MVP Deep Dives Volume 2. Opinions expressed in John's blog are strictly his own and do not represent Microsoft in any way.