John Paul Cook

Enabling Sound on Hyper-V

Hyper-V does not provide a virtual audio device. Look at the screen capture of Virtual Machine Connection and a Windows 7 vm. As indicated by the X over the speaker icon, audio is not enabled. Additionally, Device Manager shows that although there are virtual devices, there isn’t one for audio. Sound can be enabled by using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the running vm.

image

The following screen captures show you how to configure Remote Desktop Connection. I’m using a Windows 7 physical machine to connect to a Windows 7 virtual machine. On the Remote tab of System Properties, go to the Remote Desktop section and select one of the two choices that allow connections. If you are running Remote Desktop Connection from XP, you’ll need the less secure option. Since all of my machines are Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, I choose the more secure option.

image

The default network settings will prevent you from connecting or even doing a successful ping:

C:\Users\John>ping VWin7Pro
Ping request could not find host VWin7Pro. Please check the name and try again.

To resolve this, go to Advanced sharing settings and select Turn on file and printer sharing.

image

Try the ping again and you’ll have success.

C:\Users\John>ping VWin7Pro

Pinging VWin7Pro [fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11: time<1ms
Reply from fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::598f:5a3b:2544:9d53%11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Next, configure Remote Desktop Connection. You’ll need to expand the Options to expose all of the tabs. Go to the Local Resources tab and click Settings. The default is Play on this computer, which is what you want.

image image

You probably don’t want to always be prompted about trusting your own remote machine, so check Don’t ask me again for connections to this computer.

image

Provide your credentials if prompted.

image

Since I made the vm, I’m not concerned about the certificate not coming from a trusted authority, so I check the box to not be prompted again.

image

As you can see within the RDP session, Remote Audio is enabled and the sounds appear on the local physical machine.

image

Using RDP offers other advantages. I have a 2560x1600 30” monitor. The Remote Desktop Connection window fills the entire screen providing me with the full 2560x1600 resolution within the vm. This is far beyond the maximum 1600x1200 resolution provided by Virtual Machine Connection. Additionally, by using the More button on the Local Resources tab, the local physical machine’s drives can be made available to the virtual machine. This allows files to be copied and pasted between the vm and the physical machine by using Windows Explorer within the vm.

image

Finally, since I have a gigabit home network, I maximize the user experience’s visual effects.

image image

Published Monday, September 14, 2009 11:58 PM by John Paul Cook

Comments

RickHeiges said:

Virtualization is a growing part of the SQL Server tool set these days - thanks for providing this.

September 16, 2009 7:23 PM

Ryan Doyle said:

Good advice.  Unfortunately, since I'm using Hyper-V to host a lab environment which is isolated from my production network, the Hyper-V console is my only way in.  So, I think I'm stuck unable to use sound.

February 8, 2010 11:34 AM

Craig Beere said:

Great help thanks John.

The article didn't completely help me, though, since I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 as the Hyper-V guest.

The extra step needed is as follows.

In the Hyper-V guest:

Click Start.

In the Search Programs and Files box type “remote”.

From the list of programs, choose Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.

In the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool, in the middle pane, right-click RDP-Tcp and choose Properties.

Choose the Client Settings tab.

In the Disable the Following list, deselect (i.e. no tick) Audio and Video Playback.

Click OK.

By the way Ryan, you can use Remote Desktop to connect from the Hyper-V parent to the Hyper-V guest, provided the network is set to Internal Only.

March 30, 2010 3:46 PM

Mark Baugher (MCT) said:

Ryan,

You can use remote desktop from the host machine to access the machines that are running in the Hyper V console.

*Assuming that they are configured as "Internal" for their network adapters.

June 30, 2010 8:25 AM

Ryan 2 said:

Craig Beere is the man! I have been looking for this solution for a long time and didnt think it existed because everyone says theres no audio in hyper v - setting up a remote audio streaming server and you just saved me a boatload of extra work and headaches. thanks>>!

July 8, 2010 7:04 AM

BL said:

@Craig Beere

You are the man......Thanks mate.

November 15, 2010 2:20 PM

FS said:

Craig I have used this solution twice, you are the man!

March 2, 2011 2:56 AM

Dennis said:

Thanks Craig Beere, The Additional Server 2008 instructions worked.

May 6, 2011 11:57 AM

BY said:

Thanks for the detailed instructions, worked perfectly.  You saved me a lot of time and I really appreciate it!

May 24, 2011 6:53 PM

Constantijn Blondel said:

Hear Hear, with the thanks to Craig Beere :) This one solved my headaches at our users moaning at their lack of sound. Thanks!

July 21, 2011 6:35 AM

Héctor said:

Nice work around Craig!

Hyper-V still needs some things...

Thanks!

April 1, 2013 9:54 AM

Bob said:

John:

Great article!  This appears to enable desktop sounds but does not appear to work for Lync 2013 used on Windows 7 clients used on a Hyper-V 2008 R2 host.

July 4, 2013 1:09 PM

Michael said:

Yep, Bob - same here. Looking for a solution for a Lync 2010 client on a hyper-v guest to make calls.

Solution would be appreciated. Don't think there is one though.

Cheers,

Michael

July 10, 2013 1:02 PM

Roufa said:

Excellent thank you.

November 5, 2013 7:17 PM

Qui Gon Jin said:

what about in server 12 there arent such options

February 19, 2014 12:35 AM

Stephan said:

This isn't helping me with my situation.  I am able to get system sounds and play the sample music files that came with the system; though poorly.  However, I cannot play any audio that streams from the internet.

I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro and a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine set up through Hyper-V.  I understand there is no audio to be had through Hyper-V so I am connecting using Remote Desktop.  I've given the VM 2048 MB of RAM and system sounds come through the RDP connection just fine.  The sample music files also play but with some data loss (guesstimate 10% data loss).  Videos from youtube have no sound.  I downloaded a video from youtube and played it from the downloaded file.  It played with a little bit of sound here and there (guesstimate 95% audio data loss).

Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks.

February 20, 2014 8:04 PM

Konstantinos Xanthopoulos said:

This had been a great help John, thank you!

February 27, 2014 4:11 PM

Jayesh said:

Thank you so much sir, this really helped.

March 13, 2014 7:41 PM

Victor Kwok said:

Thank you, Craig Beere and John! You saved me life!

June 16, 2014 1:56 AM

Don said:

Not having a sound option in this makes it a downgrade from Virtual PC/Server or any other hypervisor how can M$ even think that this is acceptable today. What a really terrible effort from M4 poor poor poor poor poor.

August 18, 2014 8:19 PM

About John Paul Cook

John Paul Cook is a Technology Solution Professional for Microsoft's data platform and works out of Microsoft's Houston office. Prior to joining Microsoft, he was a Microsoft SQL Server MVP. He is experienced in Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle database application design, development, and implementation. He has spoken at many conferences including Microsoft TechEd and the SQL PASS Summit. He has worked in oil and gas, financial, manufacturing, and healthcare industries. John is also a Registered Nurse who graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master of Science in Nursing Informatics and is an active member of the Sigma Theta Tau nursing honor society. He volunteers as a nurse at safety net clinics. Contributing author to SQL Server MVP Deep Dives and SQL Server MVP Deep Dives Volume 2.