Jamie Thomson

This is the blog of Jamie Thomson, a freelance data mangler in London

AdventureWorks on Azure now hosted by Red Gate software

In March 2012 I launched an initiative called AdventureWorks on Azure in which I hosted the AdventureWorks2012 sample database on Azure so that the SQL Server community at large could use it to get familiar with what SQL Azure Windows Azure SQL Database had to offer. I asked the SQL community to support the initiative by donating money to keep it afloat and that community responded in spades to the point where last month I was able to make a donation to the War Child charity on behalf of that community. In the interim period I added more sample data to the pot, made Northwind available, and also data related to Olympics medal tables down the years.

Today AdventureWorks on Azure takes on a new guise, Steve Jones of SQL Server Central fame announced via a press release that hosting of the database is now to be taken on by his employer Red Gate Software. Here’s what Steve had to say in today’s announcement:

One of the goals of Red Gate Software is that we not only sell products to the SQL Server community, but that we also participate in the community. In line with our goals of participating in the community, we have agreed to host the AdventureWorks 2012 sample database on the Azure platform.
Red Gate has worked to transition this set of databases to our own subscription and will assume the financial responsibility for making this available for the community to use.

This is great news. I no longer have to worry about finding the funds to keep the initiative afloat and the community can feel comfortable that this will be around for the foreseeable future, so thank you to Steve and red gate for this undertaking. Special thanks must also go to David Atkinson at Red Gate who first suggested that they take this on.

I have high hopes that Steve & Red Gate will build upon this with more offerings for the community and equally I also hope I can stay involved somehow. Watch this space!

@Jamiet

Published Monday, May 20, 2013 11:48 PM by jamiet

Comments

daniel said:

will it go now the same way as .NET Reflector being no longer free after some times ?

May 21, 2013 7:05 AM

Ian Yates said:

@Daniel - cheeky :)

Seriously, I doubt they'd do that.  Reflector was a private individual's work that was purchased (was it open source at one stage - I don't recall?) whereas this was a idea driven by one person with support from the entire community.

I myself am only just starting to look at Azure properly now so this is great news for me to see that the SQL DB will be available for learning.

May 21, 2013 9:24 PM

Miguel Escobar said:

Hey Jamie,

I've been testing this all day...connecting using Powerpivot but its not working. Most of the tables get you a 'invalid object name' error.

There are only a few that are query-able through Powerpivot =(

Have you tried connecting using PowerPivot?

@migueldotxlsx

May 23, 2013 2:47 PM

jamiet said:

Hi Miguel,

Seems to work ok for me. I successfully imported a table into powerpivot and built a pivot table off of it. That workbook is here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=550F681DAD532637!72951&authkey=!AK2XhxCBA1fRxE0

Hope that helps.

Regards

Jamie

May 25, 2013 5:33 PM

jamiet said:

Miguel,

Sorry, I realised I can't really store it on SkyDrive because its just too big. Trust me though, it works.

Regards

Jamie

May 25, 2013 6:24 PM

Miguel Escobar said:

Jamie,

For some reason I've been able to get some tables and all of the vies but not the ones from the AW. What tables were you able to import?

Also, the other thing is that I'm not able to import them through the Import table wizard but it works when using a query.

This is getting more and more weird by the minute =/

best,

Miguel

May 26, 2013 3:38 AM

jamiet said:

Miguel,

I used the bigTransactionHistory table. I didn't need a query, it worked just by choosing the table.

Regards

Jamie

May 26, 2013 4:19 AM

Miguel Escobar said:

Jamie,

That one works just right! but try it with the Employee Table or either the SalesOrderHeader or SalesOrderDetail and you'll get the error

Thanks again for your prompt response!

Miguel

May 26, 2013 4:26 AM

jamiet said:

Really? That's very strange.

May 26, 2013 4:55 AM

Miguel Escobar said:

Extremely strange! Please tell me that I'm not crazy and that it's also happening to you =)

May 26, 2013 7:12 AM