Jamie Thomson

This is the blog of Jamie Thomson, a freelance data mangler in London

Execution Statuses [SSIS]

I have been doing development on SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) 2012 for a few months and I have quite a lot of experiences to share on this blog. Sharing them will happen over time but I do want to begin with this particular nugget.

Very simply, put this post-it note on your monitor.

SSIS execution status

You’ll be glad you did. Trust me!

Alternatively you could just download my SSIS Reporting Pack ;)

image

UPDATE: I should also point out that the built-in reports do provide the same information:

image

You will still find the post-it note invaluable though!

@Jamiet

P.S. Some background: catalog.executions (SSISDB Database)

Published Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:11 PM by jamiet

Comments

Ben Thul said:

If only there were some mechanism where we could, in SQL, map codes (e.g. 1, 2, 3) to something more human-readable (e.g. 'Created', 'Running', 'Cancelled'). Seriously though... it's 2012. Why are we still using arcane codes for things that people are supposed to be viewing?

July 18, 2012 8:04 AM

jamiet said:

Hi Ben,

To be fair the built-in reports do provide the textual descriptions.

I'll update the post accordingly to reflect that.

Regards

Jamie

July 18, 2012 9:00 AM

test said:

test

July 18, 2012 9:12 AM

Ben Thul said:

All I'm saying is that how hard would it have been to put that data in another table in the database so you could join to it?

July 18, 2012 9:46 AM

jamiet said:

Very easy indeed. Especially given that everything in the [catalog] schema is a view, not a table.

July 18, 2012 10:10 AM

links said:

Am not entirely sure these statuses are comprehensive enough in terms of error reporting; am finding alot of gap in terms of reporting SSIS component errors during run time (which is reported as Status: Failure) and SSIS errors outside the components flow, for example deadlocks or timeouts while logging to SSIS Catalog db (which is reported as Status: Canceled with no error message).

more details @:http://thinknook.com/ssis-2012-cancelled-status-issues-2012-07-29/

July 29, 2012 3:56 PM

OOM said:

July 1, 2013 6:47 AM

Sanjay said:

Thanks JT, Your sticky note really helped me !!

I was going mad with those numbers for status :)

Kind Rgds,