Last week I launched AdventureWorks on Azure, an initiative to make SQL Azure accessible to anyone, in my blog post AdventureWorks2012 now available for all on SQL Azure. Since then I think its fair to say that the reaction has been lukewarm with 31 insertions into the [dbo].[SqlFamily] table and only 8 donations via PayPal to support it; on the other hand those 8 donators have been incredibly generous and we nearly have enough in the bank to cover a full year’s worth of availability.
It was always my intention to try and make this offering more appealing and to that end I have used an adapted version of Adam Machanic’s make_big_adventure.sql script to massively increase the amount of data in the database and give the community more scope to really push SQL Azure and see what it is capable of. There are now two new tables in the database:
- [dbo].[bigProduct] with 25200 rows
- [dbo].[bigTransactionHistory] with 7827579 rows
The credentials to login and use AdventureWorks on Azure are as they were before:
- Server mhknbn2kdz.database.windows.net
- Database AdventureWorks2012
- User sqlfamily
- Password sqlf@m1ly
Remember, if you want to support AdventureWorks on Azure simply click here to launch a pre-populated PayPal Send Money form - all you have to do is login, fill in an amount, and click Send. We need more donations to keep this up and running so if you think this is useful and worth supporting, please please donate.
I mentioned that I had to adapt Adam’s script, the main reasons being:
- Cross-database queries are not yet supported in SQL Azure so I had to create a local copy of [dbo].[spt_values] rather than reference that in [master]
- SELECT…INTO is not supported in SQL Azure
- The 1GB limit of SQLAzure web edition meant that there would not be enough space to store all the data generated by Adam’s script so I had to decrease the total number of rows.
The amended script is available on my SkyDrive at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=550f681dad532637&resid=550F681DAD532637!16756&parid=550F681DAD532637!16755
AdventureWorks on Azure - Provided by the SQL Server community,
for the SQL Server community!