My mind was wandering today after reading Andy Leonard's excellent post Name Those Connections and it occurred to me that due to SQL Server 2012 including an SSIS Server there may be an opportunity to leverage Policy-Based Management (PBM) for ensuring adherance to an organisation's best practises around SSIS development. I have absolutely no idea whether such plans are afoot or not (I suspect not) but nonetheless it may be fun to come up with a desired list of policies. Here are some brainstormed ideas:
- All task and package names have to adhere to some naming convention (here are some suggestions)
- All executions need to use an environment reference
- All Connection Managers must be project-scoped
- All connection strings must use an Application Name that is not a GUID (this is where this train of thought started after reading Andy's post)
- Insist on a given LOGGING_LEVEL
Any more ideas? Pop 'em in the comments below!