Jamie Thomson

This is the blog of Jamie Thomson, a freelance data mangler in London

Introducing SSIS Reporting Pack for SQL Server code-named Denali

In recent blog posts I have introduced the new SSIS Catalog that is forthcoming in SQL Server Code-named Denali:

The SSIS Catalog is responsible for executing SSIS packages and also for capturing the metadata from those executions. However, at the time of writing there is no mechanism provided to view analyse and drill into that metadata and that is the reason that I am, in this blog post, introducing a suite of SSIS Catalog reports called the SSIS Reporting Pack which you can download from my SkyDrive at http://bit.ly/ez55g4 The latest version of the reports can be gotten from http://ssisreportingpack.codeplex.com/releases/.

In this first release the SSIS Reporting Pack includes five reports:

• Catalog – A high-level summary of all activity in the Catalog
  • Folders – A summary of activity in each Catalog Folder
  • Folder – Project-level activity per single Folder
  • Executions – A visualisation of all executions per Folder/Project/Package/Environment or subset thereof
  • Execution – Information about an individual execution

Here is a screenshot of the Executions report:

image

Notice that the SSIS Reporting Pack provides a visual overview of all executions in the Catalog. Each execution is represented as a bar on the bar chart, the success or otherwise of each execution is indicated by the colour of the bar and the execution time is indicated by the bar height.

I have recorded a video that gives an overview of the SSIS Reporting which I have embedded below. If you are having any trouble viewing the video go see it at http://vimeo.com/17617974

I must stress that this is a very early version of the SSIS Reporting Pack and I am expecting it to change a lot over the coming year. I am very keen to get some feedback about this, specifically:

• let me know if anything does not work as you expect
  • give me your feature requests

The easiest way to get hold of of me for now is within the comments section of this blog post.

That’s all for now. I hope the SSIS Reporting Pack proves useful and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Lastly, that download link again: http://bit.ly/ez55g4. http://ssisreportingpack.codeplex.com/releases/.

@jamiet

Published Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:25 AM by jamiet

Comments

Rob Farley said:

Nice. I'll have to try this out some time.

December 8, 2010 6:39 PM

Todd McDermid said:

Spectacular, Jamie.

This is the kind of thing that should be "in the box" - but probably won't be because they've had to spend so much time reengineering SSIS to operate as a server and collect more monitorable metrics.

Looking forward to finding time to work with it!

December 9, 2010 1:58 AM

Tom said:

Top man, nice one Jamie!

Where do you get the time to play with all this stuff and do a normal job?

December 9, 2010 3:52 AM

B4PJS said:

Cool, will definitely check these out :)

December 9, 2010 4:29 AM

jamiet said:

Tom,

I have two things which are a great help. A long train commute and a very tolerant wife :)

-Jamie

December 9, 2010 6:54 AM

Suhail Ali said:

This is good. I'll happily throwaway my custom logging and reporting solution since this will obviate the need for maintaining my own solution.  I just wish row counts were also being logged which would be very useful for performance profiling, debugging and auditing.

December 9, 2010 11:11 AM

jamiet said:

Suhail,

This is an early version of the Catalog, you should expect that the type of information that gets logged will change in the future. I have no knowledge of what changes are forthcoming but am hoping that capture of rowcounts are among them.

JT

December 9, 2010 11:20 AM

Luke Hayler said:

This looks awesome Jamie! Can't wait to get the suite installed and try it out.

December 11, 2010 10:41 PM

SSIS Junkie said:

In my blog post SSIS Server, Catalogs, Environments & Environment Variables in SSIS in Denali from

July 20, 2011 11:49 AM

SSIS Junkie said:

In December 2010 I announced in a blog post Introducing SSIS Reporting Pack for SQL Server code-named

September 4, 2011 9:57 AM

Brian Bradley said:

Hi Jamie

Would love to try your Report Pack, but the SKYDrive doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Can I download it from anywhere else?

Thanks

Brian

June 7, 2012 1:56 AM

jamiet said:

Hi Brian,

Strange that you couldn't find it on SkyDrive - the link worked for me OK. Nevertheless that's no longer the correct place to get the latest version, head to http://ssisreportingpack.codeplex.com/releases/ instead.

I'll update the post above accordingly as soon as I've posted this comment. Thank you for alerting me to it.

Regards

Jamie

June 7, 2012 4:43 AM

Jamie Thomson said:

Since December 2010 I have been maintaining a suite of reports that can be used atop the SSIS Catalog

September 4, 2013 11:24 AM