THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web

Welcome to SQLblog.com - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |
in Search

Jamie Thomson

This is the blog of Jamie Thomson, a freelance data mangler in London

“Excel found unreadable content” when exporting a Reporting Services report

[This is just a quickie, I’m putting it up here for anyone that received the messages above and searches for it online!]

Earlier today my team experienced some issues with a Reporting Services report that when attempting to export to Excel would cause Excel to throw the error “Excel found unreadable content” (I really should have got a screenshot but I didn’t think to do that. Sorry.)

Of course we went down the usual routes. Searching online threw up a Microsoft KB article Error message when you try to open a workbook in Excel 2007: "Excel found unreadable content in Book_Name" which describes a situation related to Analysis Services.

Turns out it was nothing at all to do with Analysis Services. The solution was actually a lot simpler – our Reporting Services server had run out of disk space and clearing down some space on that disk immediately solved the problem.

 

So, if you encounter the above error – check your disk usage!

Hope that helps!

 

@Jamiet

Published Friday, January 22, 2010 9:16 PM by jamiet

Comment Notification

If you would like to receive an email when updates are made to this post, please register here

Subscribe to this post's comments using RSS

Comments

 

Rdo said:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I have the same problem but not the same cause apparently.

17 GB free disk space ought to be enough to export a <1MB report ;-)

February 12, 2010 5:26 AM
 

Rdo said:

Seems like this error can also occur when you use .png images in your report. After replacing the images with .jpg versions, my reports worked fine..

February 12, 2010 11:04 AM

Leave a Comment

(required) 
(required) 
Submit

This Blog

Syndication

Powered by Community Server (Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems
  Privacy Statement