Jamie Thomson

This is the blog of Jamie Thomson, a freelance data mangler in London

SQL Server Acronym Overload

Over the past few years the acronym SS?S (standing for SQL Server something something) has seen increased usage within the SQL Server product. We now have:

• SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
  • SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
  • SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
  • SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)

Pretty soon, probably in the release after SQL Server 2008 R2, one of these is going to get overloaded because Microsoft recently announced that SQL Server Modeling Services is going to be introduced into the product and that's going to give another meaning to the acronym SSMS. Trouble abounds...

It made me think what other such acronyms we might see in the future. StreamInsight is going to appear in SQL Server 2008 R2, is that going to be rebranded as SQL Server Insight Services (SSIS - oops, another collision) I wonder? Or perhaps even SQL Server Event Services? And what of the Microsoft Semantic Engine that is purported to be coming in the future? Will that be SQL Server Semantic Services (ye gods - SSSS)?

Thankfully the Master Data Services team have managed to resist the temptation to prepend "SQL Server" onto their oft-used name otherwise we might have heard SSMDS being bandied about as well. Or maybe that should have been SQL Server Master Services? Oh...

I await news with interest.

@Jamiet

Published Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:07 AM by jamiet
Filed under:

Comments

Aaron Bertrand said:

My least favorite naming collision so far?  DAC.  It's not even the right acronym, but DTC was taken.  Not sure why nobody realized that DAC was also taken.

November 26, 2009 9:58 AM

mjswart said:

I got confused about DAC at PASS this year. I knew the speaker who mentioned it wasn't talking about the Admin Connection, but it wasn't obvious what it was. It never got defined for us and I had to look it up later.

SSMS started out its life as SQL Workbench, SWB.exe. Workbench was a much much cooler name. With SQL Workbench you don't have the semantic tie with Visual Studio, but who needs that any way?

November 26, 2009 11:57 AM

AaronBertrand said:

I believe it was SqlWB.exe, but yeah, I get your point.  The name of the product itself, much less the name of the executable behind it, does not need such direct ties to other products which share similar plumbing.

November 26, 2009 6:17 PM

Knight_Reign said:

Nah, I'm afraid you'll be seeing SSMDS bandied about. Just that most of us feel like you Jamie and drop the SS.

k

November 26, 2009 11:08 PM

Everest said:

Either overloaded or they'll have to rever to 5-letter abbreviations, and then six, seven...imagine our conversation about technology in five to ten:

"Hey broski, did you get that SSMISASRS installed on that server yet?"

"No dude, the DACWACPACK failed and I had to order another one!"

November 27, 2009 9:03 PM

Sparky Chucklepants said:

I just want to see one that ends up saying "SISSIES".

August 9, 2011 8:17 PM