James Luetkehoelter

Nearly any SQL topic presented at times in a slightly eclectic manner.

SOT: My book has arrived

My book from Apress, Pro SQL Server Disaster Recovery finally arrived at my house, with my complimentary copies to give to whomever I see fit. I have more books than people I know, so I'll pose a question to see at what geek level those of you are at. The first to correctly answer this question gets a free book:

There's a movie quote I often reference, "Who invented liquid soap and why?". In order to win a free book, you must give me the movie that is from, the character that says the line (important, who SAYS the line), and what is the origin of the line. You must also give me the names of the female and male lead from the movie. That's a lot to ask, but hey, the book is in hardcover!

That being said, I'm afraid to even look at the book - I'm a terrible self-critic. I'm always my worst critic. I hope it is at least received well (sales would be nice too...).

Published Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:49 AM by James Luetkehoelter

Comments

John Machielsen said:

HA, that's an easy one.

The movie is The Sure Thing, from 1985 starring John Cusack as Walter Gibson and Daphne Zuniga as Alison Bradbury.

The line is being spoken by Gibson's professor (Taub) who is reading a paper of his that contains that line.

That being out of the way, I really am anxious to read your book. I have been following the blog for some time as a lurker really.....but in my opinion it's about time a good book came out focussing on that subject matter. It's only hardly ever a chapter in books that don't have any focus at all, with not enough content to even merrit the attention the authors gave it.

We'll see if I'm right about the quote.....

March 26, 2008 3:58 AM

andyleonard said:

Congratulations James!

I thought Al Gore invented liquid soap...

:{> Andy

March 26, 2008 7:24 AM

Neal Waterstreet said:

Classic John Cusack... Right up there with Better Off Dead.

March 26, 2008 8:56 AM

jerryhung said:

1985.... I was only 5 at then, it'd be strange if I win

March 26, 2008 9:24 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Congrats!!  This is, by the way, not even a little bit off topic.

March 26, 2008 10:09 AM

Denis Gobo said:

James,

congrats on the book, as far as the contest goes type this into Google and look at the first result ("movie quote Who invented liquid soap and why")

Contests are so much easier now that you have the internet. But Google didn't help at all with Louis Davidson's contest for his book.

March 26, 2008 10:57 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Well, John, you are the winner. Had I known Denis that it would be so easy (most people miss that it is his professor reading his paper), I would have picked something more obscure, perhaps from the same movie, like:

"Hey everybody, let's sing show tunes!" The character's name, the context of the line, and the actor.

John, you no answer!

Jerry - thank you for making me feel very old all of a sudden :)

March 26, 2008 11:01 AM

andyleonard said:

James, I can make you feel young again. I was five (just a few days from my sixth birthday) when Walter Cronkite kept interrupting my favorite TV shows with some story about men walking on the moon...

:{> Andy

March 26, 2008 11:16 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Andy, that doesn't help that much :(

March 26, 2008 12:42 PM

andyleonard said:

Well I tried bro. :{> I look older than you. There. How's that?

March 26, 2008 1:14 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

You know, it's dangerous to read your own work if you are a very self-negative person. I'm seeing all sorts of things were I wish I had written more, differently, etc. I am certainly my own worst critic. I will be very interested in how others receive the book - it's very much a "what to" vs a "how to".

March 26, 2008 1:30 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

So John, email me your mailing information and I'll send a copy off to you. Good job on the quick response, with Google or without it's impressive.

March 26, 2008 4:01 PM

AllenMWhite said:

Andy (and James - congrats on the book!) - you are just a youngster.  I was 15 and stayed up late to watch that first moon walk.

March 26, 2008 9:08 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

Well Done James! I'll order one from Amazon - I'm willing to pay so you can get your well deserved royalty.

March 26, 2008 9:15 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

I was 10. I rememeber being allowed to stay up late and watch it on my grandparent's color TV. But being ten I did not realize the impact at the time. Can't wait to see that again. Hope it's in my lifetime.

March 26, 2008 9:18 PM

John Machielsen said:

Haha, to be honest......I did use Google in looking up the professor's name and the female lead info....could not for the life of me remember those!

It is as Denis says: a lot of classic 'quiz' like Q&A's have become no-fun because of the 'net.

I am happy to have won though, I just splurched out a huge amount of money on some books I still had to get (like the ETL toolkit book and the new updated DWH Lifecycle books), so I would have had to scrape on other necessary life expenses to get your book!

I will give feedback on it and feature it on our new to be launched company BI weblog though, I promise!

March 27, 2008 7:00 AM

todd brooks said:

Interesting book topic and am interested in taking a look at it the next time I'm in B&N.

What's up with Apress book publishing prices, though?   $69.99(USD) for a 368pg dead tree version?  $49.99(USD) for the PDF version?  woah

March 27, 2008 5:50 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

For the record, I had no imput on the pricing...but I will pass the comment on to my publisher.

March 27, 2008 9:32 PM