James Luetkehoelter

Nearly any SQL topic presented at times in a slightly eclectic manner.

What I want for Christmas from SQLSanta...

1) People to use consistent naming conventions - If you're using camel case, stick with it. If you're using Pascal case (the first letter of every word Capitalized), stick with it. If you're using underscores ( _ ) between names, stick with it. If you're organizing stored procedures by using titles that start with a verb( GET) and a noun or adjective (Person) stick with it.

2) Everyone at MS should have a Thesaurus (see if you can count how many different ways the word "Schema" is used in SQL 2005.

3) Snow storms would not hit at precisely the time at which I'm trying to fly home after some job on the east coast.

4) Database developers would use SQL Server Schemas for security, or use object level grants, but not mix the two

5) Reporting Services administrators would backup up their encryption key.

6) Analysis Services designers would not use Data Mining unless they can clearly explain what the Naive Baysian mining algorithm is (I mean write the formula down)

7) DBAs would actually test the backups they have (please for the love of all that is normalized in this world!)

8) Database designers would start with a logical, noramlized (3rd form will do) before even considering denormalizing a database.

9) When writing functions or stored procedures, no one would use EXECUTE AS unless they can explain exactly what SELF, CALLER and OWNER mean. ( and hopefully not use it all)

10) A Red-Rider BB gun to hold off the miscreants of Black Bart.

Published Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:00 AM by James Luetkehoelter

Comments

Adam Machanic said:

Why would people hopefully not use EXECUTE AS?

December 20, 2007 10:25 AM

andyleonard said:

James,

You'll shoot your eye out.

o<:{> Andy

December 20, 2007 2:37 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Adam:

Actually I said as long as they know what SELF, OWNER and CALLER mean. I see real use for EXECUTE AS, but I've *seen* real misuse of it. I saw one use where SELF was used. At the moment, that was perfectly fine given the permissions that the creator of the SP had. However a patch was applied and the script was run by someone who was a sysadmin. Now that SP, since it was ALTERed by a sysadmin, could do potentially anything (it had a sizeable varchar parameter that had no data validation - sql injection time!).  This was already created mind you, 'twas not me :)

Andy: Bumpuses!!!! (I affectionately call my two huge german shephards the Bumpuses because the run around like big clods just like the Bumpuses dogs in A Christmas Story) - good catch on the reference :)

December 21, 2007 6:23 AM

GuidoMarcel said:

<<People to use consistent naming conventions>> ... and everyone is witing his SQLs in a nice readable way, so that anybody can easily read them. That is why I created the  free SQL Formatter applet to support SQL developpers at  Hope you find it useful.

You find it at http://www.sqlinform.com .

December 22, 2007 4:27 AM

Adam Machanic said:

James: I agree, EXECUTE AS SELF is pretty useless.  A certain 'softie told me that it was added so that demos of certain features could be done more easily, without worrying about permissions, as long as you were demoing using a sysadmin account... Note that this was said only partially tongue in cheek :-)

EXECUTE AS USER, OTOH, is an excellent feature in my opinion.

December 22, 2007 8:09 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Adam: I'm SO happy to hear you say that about AS SELF. And agreed that it can be useful in knowledge hands :)

December 23, 2007 11:01 PM

Bogdan Crivat said:

James,

Why not use Data Mining unless one clearly understands the algorithms? I'm actually curious what kind of problems did you see arising from this

January 3, 2008 12:53 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Bogdan:

Ah, Data Mining....how I loathe it so....

Actually I love Data Mining, and the algorithms SSAS provides are solid. The problem that I see "out there" is that many design predictive models and make business decisions without truly understanding the answers they receive from the model. Take a decision tree algorithm. I've seen people look at that and just look at the percentages shown, not the "universe" or the set of candidates in that particular tree node. They then embark upon a flawed marketing campaign based on a misinformed interpretation of existing data.

I'll write a lot more on Data Mining in the near future...

January 3, 2008 11:30 AM