Welcome to - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |

SELECT Hints, Tips, Tricks FROM Hugo Kornelis WHERE RDBMS = 'SQL Server'

SQLPass NomCom election: Why I voted twice

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:58 PM by Hugo Kornelis

Andy Warren said:

Hugo, I think the other seat goes to whoever the Board appoints, not necessarily MS (and it hasn't been in years past). I'd like to see PASS comment on your questions. My take is that the transition is in flight and will take another year or two (or more) to complete as it's a one slow step at a time.

June 4, 2014 9:06 AM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Thanks for the correction on the fifth seat, Andy. I hope someone from the board will comment and tell us who will take the fifth seat this year, and what consideration led to that choice.

I fully agree on the slow transition, and I would not have commented on the process if I had perceived it as s step, however tiny, in the right direction. Or even as a stand-still. But the US/Can reserved seat looks like a step in the wrong direction, reversing a lot of the little improvements we have seen in the past one or two years.

Thanks for your comment, Andy, and for your commitment to community. I wish you, and all other candidates, enormous amounts of votes!

June 4, 2014 9:54 AM

ed elliott said:

I voted for the 2 non us people, initially because they were non-us but I also liked what they had to say on their profiles.

I also voted for one US candidate as I felt he sounded like a genuine sort of a person.

June 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Ed Leighton-Dick said:

The reason that US/Canada has a seat on the NomCom is that it mirrors the makeup of the candidates for the board.  Last year, there were two open seats and one for EMEA.  This year, the US/Canada seat on the board is up for election, so one seat on the NomCom is reserved for US/Canada. PASS covered this in their post on the Elections page ( and in earlier posts about the election.

June 4, 2014 6:41 PM

Bill Graziano said:

We put up a blog post that addresses many of the issues you raised as well as providing some additional information around the NomCom.  Hopefully this clears things up.

June 5, 2014 10:40 AM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Thanks for the explanation and links, Ed and Bill! It makes a lot more sense now.

(I personally fail to see a reason for this coupling of reserved NomCom seats to reserved BoD seats, but if this is what the bylaws say, then this is how it has to be done).

(I am also surprised to hear that there are two reserved BoD seats for USA/Canada versus one for EMEA and none for the rest of the world, but that, too, is another discussion that I probably should not go into right now).

June 5, 2014 5:09 PM

Chris Testa-O'Neill said:

Congratulations to Erin, Andy and Allen on making the Nomination Committee for 2014. As Mark Broadbent

June 7, 2014 12:10 PM

Assignment Writing Service Australia said:

<a href="">Assignment Writing Service Australia</a>

Great Information,it has lot for stuff which is informative.I will share the post with my friends.

February 23, 2018 11:18 PM

About Hugo Kornelis

Hugo is co-founder and R&D lead of perFact BV, a Dutch company that strives to improve analysis methods and to develop computer-aided tools that will generate completely functional applications from the analysis deliverable. The chosen platform for this development is SQL Server. In his spare time, Hugo likes to visit the SQL Server newsgroups, in order to share and enhance his knowledge of SQL Server.