SELECT Hints, Tips, Tricks FROM Hugo Kornelis WHERE RDBMS = 'SQL Server'

What if null if null is null null null is null?

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:19 PM by Hugo Kornelis

Comments

Denis Gobo said:

October 1, 2007 12:30 PM

Alejandro Mesa said:

Hi Hugo,

I really liked the whole serie.

The final question reminded me about a NULL Puzzle, posted by Steve Kass on Jan 2003. I still use it to show others the implication of using "SET ANSI_NULLS OFF". It good that Microsoft is deprecating it.

Cheers,

AMB

October 1, 2007 3:25 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the serie, Alejandro.

I really had to convince myself to write the final two parts, since my mind was already busy preparing psots on much more interesting subjects (no I won't tell - just wait and see <g>), so it's good to hear that I did not do that in vain!

And thanks for the link to Steve's puzzle. I'd seen it before, but had forgotten about it. There's some *REALLY* weird stuff going on with ANSI_NULLS OFF indeed!!

October 1, 2007 4:51 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

I really like this post - I hope everyone reading it appreciates how complicated NULL can actually be when implemented correctly. Imagine what happens when someone literally types in the word 'Null' when they mean NULL....sigh...

October 2, 2007 11:20 AM

ScottPletcher said:

Another great article.  I'm glad you were willing to finish writing the series.  NULL is tricky enough that more info is always needed.

October 3, 2007 10:27 AM

Denis Gobo said:

This is part two of a three part series. Part one was about the phone interview , this part is about

December 10, 2007 3:02 PM

Rajni Padhiyar said:

Thanks Friend,

Nice article

Regards,

Rajni Padhiyar

Software Engineer

Techsture Technologies

August 13, 2009 2:32 AM

Yogesh Chandra Upreti said:

Thanks for this information described in such a nice way.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Yogesh Chandra Upreti

Sr. Associate Technology

Magnon Solutions, Noida

May 23, 2012 1:17 AM

Goutam said:

Thanks for the article, its really great.

July 2, 2012 6:53 AM

SQL Server Helper said:

August 11, 2012 1:06 AM

aa said:

aaa

February 9, 2013 5:34 AM

o.O said:

o.O

O.o

December 10, 2013 2:48 AM

sanjay said:

i am using sql2005 but some show error on diplay .

error nul modulo: modAPPLOG5:Invaild prodcedure call or argument

June 9, 2014 6:31 AM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Hi Sanjay,

I'd love to help you, but that text does not sound like a SQL Server error message.

It is still possible that a SQL Server error is the root cause, but in that case the application has intercepted the original error. You will have to start your troubleshooting at whatever produced this message. Then check if the error is in the app code itself, or it this message is the result of catching a different error, and in the latter case find out what the original error was.

Also, blogs are not really a good place for posting these questions; I suggest that you post your future questions to one of the many available online support forums on Internet. For SQL Server help, some options are the Microsoft forums on MSDN, the forums on SQLServerCentral, or Stack Exchange.

June 9, 2014 6:46 AM

Murthy said:

nice.

December 16, 2014 2:03 AM

krishna rana said:

u r great sir, it solved my problem, thnks a lot...

May 13, 2015 1:25 AM

About Hugo Kornelis

Hugo is co-founder and R&D lead of perFact BV, a Dutch company that strives to improve analysis methods and to develop computer-aided tools that will generate completely functional applications from the analysis deliverable. The chosen platform for this development is SQL Server. In his spare time, Hugo likes to visit the SQL Server newsgroups, in order to share and enhance his knowledge of SQL Server.