Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Is there more to using SQL in Azure than redirecting your connection string?

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:20 PM by Greg Low

Comments

GrantH said:

#6. Error handling

Do yourself a favour and implement the Transient Fault Handling Application Block (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh680934(v=PandP.50).aspx) in both your on-premises and cloud solutions.

In the cloud, you should expect connections to be dropped and commands that need to be retried.

On-premises, it can help your application survive a connection reset after a cluster failover or and AlwaysOn Availability Group failover.

July 9, 2013 3:35 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Grant, while I agree that it's needed, I don't see fault tolerance as just an Azure-related issue. I regularly visit organizations where they've implemented highly-available systems (and spent a fortune on them), yet as soon as they failover (like they're designed to do), most of the applications in the building break. That's not a good story on or off premises.

July 9, 2013 11:40 PM

Joe said:

+1 to GrantH. My company went from onsite to Azure last year without implementing Transient Fault Handling Application Block, and there are days where we are bombarded by error emails due to dropped connections. To my knowledge, we never once had that problem when we were hosting the database.

To be honest, when I saw this article, I assumed fault handling would be at least in the top 2; while I understand Greg's point about this being non-SQL Azure specific, it's certainly a bigger concern when going off-site in my experience, so it becomes even more pertinent to ensure that the code base can handle it.

July 10, 2013 4:11 PM

ta.speot.is said:

My understanding is that ADO .NET in .NET 4.5.1 has been updated to handle transient faults somewhat transparently.

July 14, 2013 5:11 AM

Greg Low said:

Yes, I'm keen to do some testing on that. It's called "Idle connection resilence" in the documentation. While that no doubt will help to keep a connection alive, there are many other aspects to achieving reliable transaction processing.

July 14, 2013 9:09 PM

David McGhee said:

Nice work Greg. Very good advice

July 15, 2013 12:59 AM

WAS.. said:

I stopped reading when I saw you rip off WASD in a non-keyboard related way.

July 30, 2013 5:52 AM

Greg Low said:

What a bizarre comment. How can anyone "rip off" any acronym? Most acronyms are overloaded. My guess is that in just two years from now, WASD will be associated with "Windows Azure SQL Database" more than it will be associated with WASD keyboards.

July 30, 2013 6:07 PM