Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Experiences with learning Chinese

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:20 AM by Greg Low

Comments

jeff_yao said:

Good luck in learning Chinese. Another way is to go to China/Taiwan / Singapore and study/live for a few months, I bet your Chinese will have a good boost.

November 8, 2012 12:04 AM

Andrew Dugdell said:

Hey Greg, a little off topic for "speaking" Chinese but check this out from MSR.  Jump straight to ~7:14   http://youtu.be/Nu-nlQqFCKg

Good luck on your first HSK exam !

November 8, 2012 7:20 PM

Greg Low said:

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I try to visit there when I can. I spent time in Beijing last year and enjoyed it.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I saw that. While it's really just an extension of existing technologies, it's so impressive to see it tied together so well. Thanks!

November 11, 2012 8:04 PM

John Huang said:

Greg, You've done great learning work! Your vocabulary seems doubled since our last talk. This should allow you to use Chinese dictionary to learn Chinese. This is the way how I learned in China when I was a child.

November 20, 2012 6:55 PM

Greg Low said:

Thanks John. Hope you're well!

November 20, 2012 8:38 PM

Hayden said:

Hi Greg,

How long have you been learning Chinese?

You can read around 300 Characters. But what about your speaking? can you have a decent conversation?

Thanks.

November 21, 2012 9:43 PM

Greg Low said:

Hi Hayden,

About 2 years. Not sure how many words for speaking but it's quite a few. My vocab has been growing steadily. The first time I was to attend an online class for an hour that was all in Chinese, I wondered how I'd go. But I do those now all the time ok. (Classes have a fairly constrained set of topics though)

I try to learn words in sets eg: above, below, in front, behind, left, right, or many things of the same type: blue, red, green, yellow, purple, white, grey, black, etc.

November 22, 2012 4:46 AM

The Bit Bucket (Greg Low): IDisposable : An update on using Rosetta Stone: Studio is now so useful and not great value as an add-on said:

November 28, 2012 3:25 AM

Greg Linwood said:

You should try learning to sing songs in Chinese, it is a very effective method for anybody with a musical background even as an adult

You first learn to sing without necessarily learning the meaning of the words, then you learn the meaning of each word & finally you learn to write each character.

This approach brings many new words, each within a learning context which is memorised in three ways.

Learning via Chinese poetry is similar

November 28, 2012 4:45 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Greg,

Yes I know a number of people that have done that quite successfully. Many others reckon Karaoke works well :-)

I just wish I could find movies with pin yin subtitles. Just been watching "Safe" the Jason Statham movie. It's got quite a bit of Mandarin dialog and I'm ok with quite a bit of it. I think it's because they were targeting the language at a young girl in the movie.

November 28, 2012 5:59 AM