Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Setting default values for slicers in PowerPivot

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:56 PM by Greg Low

Comments

Challen Fu said:

How to select the current year and month automatically when you open the workbook?

February 28, 2012 12:57 AM

Bhavik Merchant said:

I have the same issue Greg. However, that solution is not the best.. its still a workaround. Lets say we are in June and i publish with June selected. in July i would have liked the slicer to automatically roll over to July as the default value without any manual intervention.

Have you come across any solutions?

June 5, 2012 10:54 PM

Greg Low said:

what I do is to update the date dimension daily, have columns that indicate things like "yesterday", "mtd", etc. then have slicers based on those columns and preselect the slicer value. That way I can have a chart that always shows yesterday's data (as an example), even though that date keeps moving.

HTH,

Greg

June 6, 2012 12:45 AM

Frederik said:

Hi Greg, nice and simple solution with the daily update of the date dimension for setting the slicer to yesterday.

September 16, 2014 4:39 AM

Rupesh said:

Yes, Even I am trying to get the current date to be get selected with respective data after opening an Excel.

November 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Graham Whiteman said:

Thanks Greg,

Exactly what I needed to see. I was thinking about this method over lunch and hadn't put all the pieces together.. I am about to try it.. Fingers crossed.

March 18, 2015 12:07 AM

JohnY said:

Hi, this solution sounds good if you want a STATIC default, but what if you want the date to be dynamic; i.e roll over to the current month, but then the user can change the selection?

May 31, 2015 8:24 PM

Greg Low said:

Sorry, not quite following. If I reload my date dimension every night, I can have indicators like MTD, Yesterday, etc. based on the day's date values, then I can set the default slicer value to that, and it "dynamically" changes to the appropriate value each time. The user can then change to whatever they want.

Otherwise, might have to get you to provide an example of what you mean.

Regards,