Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

IE9 and Report Builder 3.0 - Compatibility Mode is needed

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:26 PM by Greg Low

Comments

GrumpyOldDBA said:

It does seem to me that there's a missmash of what works with what just now. For example I was somewhat upset to discover installing VS2010 removed SQL2008R2 Bids and you can't put it back, then to discover you can't write reports in VS2010 - the fix is to install vs2008. I haven't gone IE9 yet and SSRS R2 is only in early test, but I'm grateful for your post - very useful to know, thanks

April 20, 2011 4:38 AM

Steve said:

Had a similar issue. It all seemed to work if I ran IE as Administrator. Not ideal I know.

April 20, 2011 5:12 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Steve, the problem still occurs if you run as admin.

April 20, 2011 6:34 AM

Sri said:

I think it should work....Go to user account control and keep the security level off or low.

April 23, 2011 7:42 PM

Greg Low said:

Hi Sri, yes, but you don't want to have to run with UAC off to use RS.

April 23, 2011 10:32 PM

sri said:

Hi Greg, after 4 to 5 hours of research i came with that soution, that one worked for me. Im using the R2 version with windows 7. How abt you?

April 25, 2011 2:42 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Sri,

Yes, I can make it work with UAC off but that's not the point. Surely the team can make a version that works with UAC on. You shouldn't have to disable the security of the whole machine to make one app work.

UAC has been with us since Vista.

Regards,

Greg

April 25, 2011 3:08 AM

rkrk01 said:

Thank you very much Greg,it definitely helped me. in my case i was trying to launch report builder 1 and it says .net framework 2 must be installed but i already have .net 4 installed. once i turned on comptability view it worked just fine.

April 25, 2011 5:14 PM

Richard said:

The compatibility view hack is probably related to the new compact user-agent string in IE9 [1].

In normal IE9 mode, the UA doesn't include the installed .NET versions, so the server can't detect whether you've got .NET installed. In compatibility mode, it sends the full UA, including the .NET versions.

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx

April 26, 2011 2:42 PM

Andy Brown said:

See http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s186/report-builder.htm for how to do this.  For what it's worth, I was using SSRS 2008 R2 and Windows 7.  I find that running IE as an administrator does get round some security issues.

October 31, 2011 11:25 AM