THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web

Welcome to SQLblog.com - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |
in Search

The Bit Bucket (Greg Low): IDisposable

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Skype, add-on applications, UAC and "Unable to respond"

Just posting this blog tonight hoping it might save someone else a bunch of time. For call recording on Skype, I use a program called Pamela. Lately, when I'd first installed it, it would work fine. Later, however, it would come up and say:

"Another application (Pamela.exe) is attempting to access Skype, but we are unable to respond".

You just have to love these sorts of messages that don't give you the slightest clue about what the problem is.

While I saw the problem with Pamela, it can happen with any Skype add-in. The problem actually is related to UAC. If Skype is running as non-admin (startup app in windows) and you launch the other app as admin, you'll get this error message. Amazingly, running the add-in without admin privileges makes it work. The irony is that I was trying it as admin because I thought that would make sure it works.

Hope that helps someone else as I certainly wasted endless hours trying to work out what was wrong. And a big raspberry to the Skype guys for the "useful" error message.

Published Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:44 PM by Greg Low

Comment Notification

If you would like to receive an email when updates are made to this post, please register here

Subscribe to this post's comments using RSS

Comments

 

Dmitry said:

Thank you very much! I had been trying to solve it for some days. The reason was VS with admin rights.

May 15, 2011 9:26 AM
 

Rich said:

I've been having this problem for about a month now. I've tried uninstalling both programs, and still have the same problem. I am not sure that the Pamela is running with admin privleges or not, but I am still stumped on how to fix this problem.

I've even emailed Pamela support and they are clueless. Can you elaborate a little more on the fix you are talking about. Specifically not running Pamela as administrator? How to you do that?

             thanks,

                Rich

  ps.  Many hours trying to fix this already invested

January 15, 2012 7:49 PM
 

Greg Low said:

Hi Rich,

The problem I had is that I kept trying to right-click Pamela and use "Run as administrator". I did that because I thought it would have more chance of running. But turns out that I was causing the problem by doing that.

I had Skype running from startup (as non-admin), and Pamela (as admin) couldn't connect to it. As soon as I ran it as non-admin, it worked.

The only other thing I found that was an issue was to start by making sure that there are no entries for Pamela in the allowed add-ons area for Skype, before installing Pamela.

After that, it just seemed to work, as long as I responded to allow it when I first launched it.

Regards,

Greg

January 15, 2012 8:37 PM
 

Eugene said:

This app seems to work not very stable. I tried it a few times and all the time it let me down at very important business conversations. Not very pleasant consequences though!

Better try MX Skype Recorder

http://skyperec.com/

which is very simple and reliable, works in fully automatic or manual mode and supports various voip apps.

September 20, 2012 9:01 AM

Leave a Comment

(required) 
(required) 
Submit

This Blog

Syndication

Tags

No tags have been created or used yet.
Powered by Community Server (Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems
  Privacy Statement